We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
By Blair Stocker
Gifted by Running Press
Reviewed by Melissa Conner, Editor of FaveCrafts.com
One of my all-time favorite memories is going thrift store shopping with my sister. We'd scour the racks looking for hidden gems that we could use in our craft projects. Old sweaters, glass jars and bottles, and countless pieces of jewelry came home with us and were transformed into bags, vases, mantel decor and accessories. I still love browsing through old book stores, resale shops, and garage sales looking for old items that I can make new again...and I'm always looking for new and creative ways to liven up my home with these old, but not forgotten, items.
When I found out about Wise Craft, a book about turning thrift store finds and other bits and pieces into lovely home decor accents, I was so excited to read it. Little did I know how much this book would influence my creative lifestyle.
Filled with 60 amazing projects for turning thrift store finds, fabric scraps, and natural objects into stuff you'll love, Wise Craft is an inspirational book that will motivate you to look at everything in a new light. Based on the popular blog of the same name, Wise Craft teaches readers how to turn old things into new objects for your home.
Wise Craft breaks down projects into seasonal sections so you can easily enhance your home no matter what the season. With holiday themed projects as well as everyday decor that's inspired by Mother Nature, each section has projects for every taste and style. The Fall section, for example, has great Halloween ideas, as well as projects that can easily be used for Thanksgiving or just general decor that you can use throughout the season. The lovely Gathering Bunting is one such example. Great for using for Thanksgiivng or even a fall wedding decoration, this project allows you to showcase a selection of your favorite photos on a lovely bunted banner. You can also embellish this garland with lovely felt flowers to add splashes of warm color to your cherished black and white photos.
One of my favorite things about the projects in Wise Craft is that they can be made with things that I have in my house already. Old tee shirts, leftover yarn, fabric scraps, and even old Barbie dolls can be transformed into something truly extraordinary. And oftentimes you may even find that browsing through Wise Craft inspires you to create something of your own design! As I looked at the Modern Crocheted Doily project in the fall section, I couldn't help but think of how I could turn this into a larger blanket or afghan to drape over my couch. The lovely Summer Sherbet Picnic Blanket, made with old striped shirts, could also be made out of denim squares or a collection of well-loved fabric scraps. The pattern for this project could also be adapted into a stunning paper project or a wall hanging for your living room.
Once I started reading Wise Craft, I found it near impossible to put down. As a crafter who is constantly inspired by what's around me, I couldn't wait to dive in and start making all the projects in this awesome collection. I have to say that it's rare to find a book that contains SO many great ideas, but this one certainly does. If you're a DIY'er who loves to look at old things in a new light, you're going to love browsing through Wise Craft...and you may even find a new appreciation for thrifting, garage sale shopping, and you may even find yourself thinking twice about tossing all those old paper and fabric scraps!
Check out the Woven Chair Back for a little sneak peek of what's inside Wise Craft!
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Bling It Up!
- Little Aran and Celtic Knits for Kids
- Paracord Outdoor Gear Projects
- Crazy Cool Duct Tape Projects
- Unexpected Afghans
- Artful Handmade Wrap Bracelets
- How to Make 100 Crochet Appliques
- Cozy Knits: 50 Fast and Easy Projects from Top Designers
- 2 Hour Crafting Treasures
- Inspired by Zentangle Fabric Arts Quilting Embroidery
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Learn to Embroider with the Best of Leisure Arts
- Colorful Ladybugs Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Reworked Rainbow Table DIY Craft Project
- Leisure Arts Book Bundle
- Polyform Sculpey Clay Beginner Pack
- Red Heart Fancy Yarn Pack
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Decor, and More free eBook
- American Quilter's Society Gift Card
- Marvy Uchida Easy Crystal Applicator
- Sizzix eclips2 DIY Electric Cutter Starter Kit