Past & Present
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Past & Present
By: Amy Azzarito
Gifted by Abrams Books
Reviewed by Melissa Conner
Artists and craft designers have several things in common, perhaps the most prominant being that they both need to find a way to combine several individual pieces into one functional piece. Smaller elements must work together to create something that's both meaningful and artistic, and both artists and craft designers know the challenge (and fun!) of creating a project this way. Whether your medium is paint or markers, paper or clay, making something out of nothing is a challenge the human race has enjoyed for centuries.
If you have an appreciation for the arts, you're going to love the originality and design of Past & Present by Amy Azzarito.
In Past & Present, Azzarito presents 24 pairs of essays and DIY projects that explore the connection between art and craft. With projects inspired by famous works of art, this book makes art of bygone eras fit perfectly into our contemporary living spaces. Beginning with the famous art of Renaissance Italy and moving into Hollywood regency art of the 1930's, Azzarito looks at the elements that made up some of the most famous works of art of each time period and offers craft tutorials that show off that element. This is a beautiful and smart book that designers and crafters alike have been waiting for.
Each chapter in Past & Present covers a certain period of art history. A brief essay describes the art of the time and what inspired it, and a variety of craft projects follow. For example, The State Bed was an artistic symbol of 17th century England. And perhaps the most iconic part of the State Bed was the tassel trim. To help highlight the importance of this style in 17th century England, Azzarito includes a project for a beautiful Tassel Blanket that's perfect for adding a touch of class and art to your bedroom decor.
If you love the look of classic art and want to find a way to bring that style into your contemporary decor, you're going to love the projects and tutorials in Past & Present. This book does a great job joining "art" and "craft" and will have you looking at all kinds of art in a new way.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Vintage Basket Easter Craft Project
- Recycled Egg Carton Easter Egg Basket
- Jumbo Easter Egg Kids Craft Idea
- Cuddly Bunny Easter Sewing Project
- Cuddle Up Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Polka Dot Spring Vase Craft
- Clover Sewing Prize Pack
- Little B
- Little B Embellishment Bundle
- Sprinrite Basket of Bulky Yarn