Kids' Tic Tac Toe
Tic Tac Toe is no longer just x's and o's. Kids crafting has come up with a great way to play. Ladybugs are a fun way to play the game and learn by counting the dots on their back.
- STYROFOAM* Brand Products:
- Balls, 2", five
- Sheet, 1" x 12" x 36"
- Paintbrushes: 3/4" flat wash, No. 3 round
- Acrylic paints: black, bright yellow, fire red, lime green
- Varnish, satin waterbase
- Black Grosgrain ribbon, 7/8" x 1-1/8 yd.
- Rickrack: black medium, jumbo scarlet, one package each
- 10mm wiggle eyes, 20
- One package 3mm black chenille stems, 12" lengths
- Wooden spools, 1-3/16" x 7/8", four
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub
- Round wooden toothpicks
- Sharp pencil
- Black permanent marker
- Water basin
- Paper towels
- Disposable palette
- Wire cutters
- Thick white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub and then cut foam balls in half for ladybugs. Insert a toothpick into flat side of each half ball to use as a handle while painting.
- Measure and mark a 9" square game board on foam sheet. Cut out square.
- Paint game pieces with two coats of paint as follows: board yellow; five ladybugs red; five ladybugs and four wooden spools green. Insert toothpicks into scrap sheet of foam while ladybugs dry.
- Using photo as a guide and the round brush, paint a black head and center line dividing wings on each bug. Dip wood end of brush in paint to add black dots on wings. Let dry.
- Apply a coat of varnish on all painted surfaces. When dry, remove any toothpick handles.
- To finish each ladybug, cut two 3" lengths from a black chenille stem. Wrap stems around tip of a pencil to curl one end, forming antennae. Use a toothpick to make two 1/4" deep holes in center front of head to attach antennae; position holes 1/8" apart and 1/8" above bottom edge. Glue straight ends of antennae in holes with two wiggle eyes just above.
- To finish game board, cut four 10" lengths of black rickrack. Center and glue these lengths in a grid pattern on game board, creating nine 3" squares. Wrap excess rickrack onto edge of foam and glue. Neatly glue black grosgrain ribbon around edge of game board and then jumbo scarlet rickrack to center of ribbon, overlapping ends 1/2". Glue spools on end to bottom of game board, 1/2" from corners.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.