This project makes a great inexpensive Valentine's Day centerpiece or decoration. Use easy techniques and combine with cheap materials and create unimaginable possibilities! You can incorporate your favorite scrapbook and craft papers and flowers to make a simple gift or home decoration.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Hearts, one each: 8"; 6"
- Vase Insert, 6" x 3" x 3"
- Acrylic paints: ivory; pink
- Papers, 12" x 12": pink toile, one sheet; multi floral, two sheets
- Paper Towels
- Small pink/cream silk flowers: roses, eight; rosebuds, six
- Reindeer moss, one bag each: green; burgundy; pink
- Three floral picks, 4"
- Floral shears
- Serrated knife
- Paraffin or candle stub
- Papier mâché pot, 6"
- Measuring tape
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- White, thick craft glue
- Glue foam vase insert into papier mâché pot. Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin; trim vase insert level with top of pot.
- Trace larger foam heart twice onto back of floral paper; cut out. Repeat for smaller heart on toile paper. Using small amount of glue, adhere paper hearts to both sides of foam hearts.
- Use bunched-up paper towels to randomly dab pot below rim with ivory and pink paint. Blend paints while wet until pleased with effect.
- Measure pot rim and cut strip of floral paper to cover; glue paper in place. Use glue gun to adhere small bits of all three moss colors around bottom of pot rim and heart edges, completely covering foam surface.
- Glue ends of two floral picks 3" apart into bottom of large heart. Glue third pick into bottom right edge of small heart. Push dowels into vase insert, positioning hearts as shown. Remove dowels, apply hot glue to ends and reinsert into foam.
- Use floral shears to trim stems as needed. Glue flowers into foam at base of hearts.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.