Embellish a wooden mask with gold accents to create a dazzling mask for a Halloween costume or other occasion. This Halloween mask is an intermediate craft project.
Find this project and 30 more free Halloween craft projects in the Homemade Halloween eBook.
- Spooky Hollow Wooden Mask (purchased from Jo-Anns)
- Gold Paper (Etal Real Metal Papers by Riverwinds)
- Gold Star & Swirl Papers (Die Cuts with a View)
- Kreinik 1/8" Ribbon in 002V Vintage Gold
- Kreinik Tapestry #12 Braid in 5001 Brass Key
- 1/4" Treasure Trim
- Diamond Beadlets
- Glue stick, x-acto knife, pencil, scissors
- Trace your mask onto the back of your papers, one half of the mask on each paper. Cut them out, trimming any excess. (You can also hold the mask in place and cut out your shapes with an x-acto knife, to get a closer fit.) Make a decorative edge on the overlapping paper (use your favorite paper-edgers or just cut in a wavy or scalloped line). Glue both pieces to your mask. Allow glue to dry.
- Using your 1/4" tape, wrap around the edge of the mask, so that the tape is level with the bottom and overhangs on the top of the mask. Make small cuts in the tape along curves in the edges of the mask. Fold the overhang down onto the mask. Next, apply tape at an angle along your mask's handle.
- Peel back the red liner along a portion of your tape. Begin edging the mask with your gold ribbon. Continue around the entire mask. Next, apply the ribbon along the other edge of the tape, all the way around. Finish by adding a stripe of color 5001 braid between the two lines of ribbon. To embellish your handle, remove the red liner and wrap your tape with threads.
- When finished embellishing, place your mask in a shallow tray or ziplock bag and pour Diamond Beadlets over the exposed tape. Swirl with your fingers to cover fully and tap to remove excess beadlets.
More Halloween Mask Crafts:
Neon Flame Mask
Martian Costume Mask