Playing with Sketches
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Playing with Sketches: 50 Creative Exercises for Designers and Artists
By Whitney Sherman
Gifted by Rockport Publishers
Reviewed by Melissa Conner, Editor of FaveCrafts.com
There's nothing quite so intimidating and exhilarating as a blank page. The art of putting pen to paper is something that has been inspiring and motivating the human race since the dawn of time...and in her new book, Playing with Sketches: 50 Creative Exercises for Designers and Artists, author Whitney Sherman shows readers how to give their doodles and drawings a grownup look...and take everything from simple lines to amazing Post-It doodles to a whole new level.
Broken down into various sections, Playing with Sketches is a hands-on approach to exploring drawing principles and ways of thinking. Readers learn through the process of play and art. This book presents a series of basic warm-up exercises that then progress into more challenging activities, including 2-D shapes, inventive sketchbooks, and letterforms. The creative, adaptable ideas and numerous examples of designers and artists give the reader a peek in to the way these contributors think and see...and how they decorate and illuminate the world around them.
The great thing about Playing with Sketches is that it's great for artists of all levels. The exercises in this book are not meant to intimidate the reader; rather they're geared towards strengthening the creative muscle from concept to final execution.
What I loved most about Playing with Sketches is that you begin to look at things all around you in a whole new way. Everything from paper scraps to book pages become art right before your eyes. For example, the section on Sticky Notes Quilts is just amazing! Each Post It note contains a different drawing and when they're put all together on a wall, they create the most amazing quilt design! This would be a fun decoration for a kids room or office space and a fun bonding activity for a group of friends who love to doodle!
Filled with lots of design tutorials, techniques, and inspirations, Playing with Sketches is a fabulous book for artists of all skill levels to have on hand. Whether you are looking to learn a new skill or are just looking for something to inspire you, this book will forever change the way you look at a blank sheet of paper.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 12 Thrifty Trash to Treasure Crafts
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Crafts with Felt: Simple Craft Ideas, Felt Flowers & More
- 24 Tie-Dye Techniques: Free Tie-Dye Patterns
- 24 Valentine's Day Crafts for Kids: Lovely Kids Crafts Ideas and Projects
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- 41 Valentine's Day Crafts: Valentine's Day Cards, Gifts and More
- Cupid's Handmade Crafts
- Irish for a Day: St. Patrick's Day Craft and Recipe Guide
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Vintage Basket Easter Craft Project
- Recycled Egg Carton Easter Egg Basket
- Jumbo Easter Egg Kids Craft Idea
- Cuddly Bunny Easter Sewing Project
- Cuddle Up Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Polka Dot Spring Vase Craft
- Clover Sewing Prize Pack
- Little B
- Little B Embellishment Bundle
- Sprinrite Basket of Bulky Yarn