Make a stylin, glamorous collar for your favorite pampered pooch with this pet craft project by Valeria Blackburn. Follow the size chart below for width/length of webbing, ribbon and buckle size to purchase. The flower is the same size for all collars. Collar matches the Glitzy Glam Dog Leash.
- 12”-15” neck- 24” long x 1” wide webbing, ribbon; 1” hardware set
- 8”-11” neck- 22” long x 1” wide webbing, ribbon; 1” hardware set
- 6”-10” neck- 18” long x 5/8” wide webbing, ribbon; 5/8” hardware set
- 4”-6” neck- 15” long x ½” wide webbing, ribbon; ½” hardware set
- 24” or less of nylon webbing
- 24.5” or less of contrast ribbon
- ¼ yd. glitter tulle
- 1 rhinestone button, approximately 1”
- 1 small elastic band
- Collar hardware set (plastic side release buckle with “sliplock”, plus metal “D” ring
- Sewing machine
- Coordinating thread
- General sewing tools & iron
- Butane lighter
- Cut webbing to length indicated in chart for the size collar being made.
- Add ½” to length of webbing measurement; cut ribbon to length.
- Carefully melt short ends of webbing with lighter to prevent fraying.
- Turn under ¼” on short ends of ribbon; press.
- Lay webbing right side up; lay ribbon right side up over webbing; pin in place.
- Topstitch ribbon to webbing 1/8” inside edges of ribbon.
- See photo below to identify buckle parts to assist in threading on collar:
- When topstitching buckles to collar, sew over top of first stitching 2-3 times for strength.
- Lay collar wrong side up on work surface.
- Thread the right end of the collar over the right end of the “sliplock” buckle, over the middle leg to a length of 1”. Topstitch end ¼” from edge of collar.
- Thread the left end of the collar up through the bottom, over the middle leg and out the opposite end of the male end of the side release buckle.
- Continue pulling collar though, threading it through the “sliplock” buckle, going over the top of the middle leg and previously stitched end, pulling it out at the opposite end.
- Pull end of collar through top of female end of side release buckle, over the leg to wrong side. Pull until there is a length of 2” on wrong side of collar.
- Topstitch through collar ¼” away from end of female buckle.
- Thread “D” ring on collar; stitch ¼” from end of collar.
- Rotary cut three strips of tulle to the following measurements: 3”x16”; 2.5”x16”; 2”x16”.
- Right sides together, seam the short ends of each strip together.
- With a warm iron, press seam to one side. Begin folding the 3” wide strip in half horizontally with right sides out, pressing fold in place. When pressing, use extreme caution- a too warm iron will melt tulle.
- Repeat for remaining two strips of tulle.
- Layer the strips one on top the other, with the widest on the bottom, then the middle strip and the narrowest strip on top. Pin together.
- ¼” from raw edges, sew one row of basting around strip, through all layers, keeping raw edges even.
- Sew another row of basting ¼” from first row.
- Pull up gathering tightly, until there is no hole in the center. Tie off threads.
- By hand, sew button to center of flower; sew elastic band securely to back center of flower.
- To finish collar, adjust to proper length. Thread flower over collar to desired position.