We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This intermediate knitting pattern creates a comfortable beret with cable pattern. Slouchy berets like in this beret knitting pattern are a stylish way to keep warm all winter long. Beret may be made larger or smaller by changing needle sizes.
- Yarn: Caron International's Simply Soft Quick (100% acrylic; 3 oz/85 g, 50 yds/46 m skein): 2 skeins Shown in: #0016 Black
- Knitting Needles: One circular needle size US 9 (5.5 mm), 16 or 24" long, One circular needle size US 11 (8 mm), 16 or 24" long, or size to obtain gauge, One set of double pointed needles (dpn) size US 11 (8 mm)
- Cable needle
- Stitch marker
- Yarn Needle
- Row counter (optional)
Size: Beret measures approximately 22" in circumference by 8" tall
Gauge: In Stockinette stitch, 10 sts and 15 rows = 4"/10 cm, using larger needle
C4B: Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to back, k2, k2 from cable needle.
C4F: Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to front, k2, k2 from cable needle.
k2tog (decrease): Knit 2 sts together through the front loops.
M1: Make 1 (increase) – Lift strand between needles to LH needle and work strand through the back loop, twisting it to prevent a hole.
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit every round.
1 x 1 rib (multiple of 2 sts)
Round 1: * K1, p1; repeat from * around.
Round 2: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Repeat Row 2 for 1 x 1 rib.
Cable Pattern (multiple of 8 sts + 1)
Rnds 1 and 2: Knit.
Round 3: K1, * C4F, k4; repeat from * around.
Rounds 4 – 6: Knit
Round 7: * C4B, k4; repeat from * around to last st, k1.
Round 8: Knit.
Repeat Rounds 1 – 8 for Cable pattern.
Tip: Place a marker (pm) at beginning of round, and move up each round.
Using smaller needle, loosely cast on 52 sts.
Join, being careful not to twist sts; pm for beginning of round.
Begin St st; work even for 4 rounds.
Change to 1 x 1 rib; work even for 6 rounds.
Increase 21 sts around as follows: [K2, M1] 21 times, knit to end of round—73 sts.
Change to larger needle; knit 1 round, increasing 8 sts evenly around—81 sts.
Begin Cable patt; work Rounds 3 – 8 once, Rounds 1 – 8 once.
Note: Change to double pointed needles on Round 7, or as needed.
Rounds 1, 2 and all even numbered rounds: Knit.
Round 3: K1, * C4F, k1, k2tog, k1; repeat from * around—71 sts remain.
Round 5: * K5, k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—61 sts remain.
Round 7: * K1, k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—41 sts remain.
Round 9: * k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—21 sts remain.
Round 11: Repeat Round 9—11 sts remain.
Round 12: Repeat Round 2.
Cut yarn, leaving an 18" tail.
Thread yarn needle with tail, run tail through remaining sts; pull to gather top and fasten off securely.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 31 Halloween Craft Projects
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- Homemade Halloween Decorations
- Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Material
- 11 DIY Christmas Decorations and Gift Ideas
- 11 Teacher-Approved Crafts for School
- 12 Easter Egg Ideas & Easter Crafts for Adults
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- 22 DIY Beaded Ornaments
- Gorgeous Vintage Jewelry Ornament
- Mini Mollie Mini Mandalas
- Easy Wooden Farmhouse Sign
- Harvest Wreath
- Design Your Own Handmade Quilt Pattern
- Pine Cone Candle Wreath
- Turkey Welcome Wreath
- Twine and Berry Fall Wreath
- Printable Wedding Invitations