We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This intermediate knitting pattern creates a comfortable beret with cable pattern. Slouchy berets like in this beret knitting pattern are a stylish way to keep warm all winter long. Beret may be made larger or smaller by changing needle sizes.
- Yarn: Caron International's Simply Soft Quick (100% acrylic; 3 oz/85 g, 50 yds/46 m skein): 2 skeins Shown in: #0016 Black
- Knitting Needles: One circular needle size US 9 (5.5 mm), 16 or 24" long, One circular needle size US 11 (8 mm), 16 or 24" long, or size to obtain gauge, One set of double pointed needles (dpn) size US 11 (8 mm)
- Cable needle
- Stitch marker
- Yarn Needle
- Row counter (optional)
Size: Beret measures approximately 22" in circumference by 8" tall
Gauge: In Stockinette stitch, 10 sts and 15 rows = 4"/10 cm, using larger needle
C4B: Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to back, k2, k2 from cable needle.
C4F: Slip next 2 stitches to cable needle, hold to front, k2, k2 from cable needle.
k2tog (decrease): Knit 2 sts together through the front loops.
M1: Make 1 (increase) – Lift strand between needles to LH needle and work strand through the back loop, twisting it to prevent a hole.
Stockinette stitch (St st): Knit every round.
1 x 1 rib (multiple of 2 sts)
Round 1: * K1, p1; repeat from * around.
Round 2: Knit the knit sts and purl the purl sts as they face you.
Repeat Row 2 for 1 x 1 rib.
Cable Pattern (multiple of 8 sts + 1)
Rnds 1 and 2: Knit.
Round 3: K1, * C4F, k4; repeat from * around.
Rounds 4 – 6: Knit
Round 7: * C4B, k4; repeat from * around to last st, k1.
Round 8: Knit.
Repeat Rounds 1 – 8 for Cable pattern.
Tip: Place a marker (pm) at beginning of round, and move up each round.
Using smaller needle, loosely cast on 52 sts.
Join, being careful not to twist sts; pm for beginning of round.
Begin St st; work even for 4 rounds.
Change to 1 x 1 rib; work even for 6 rounds.
Increase 21 sts around as follows: [K2, M1] 21 times, knit to end of round—73 sts.
Change to larger needle; knit 1 round, increasing 8 sts evenly around—81 sts.
Begin Cable patt; work Rounds 3 – 8 once, Rounds 1 – 8 once.
Note: Change to double pointed needles on Round 7, or as needed.
Rounds 1, 2 and all even numbered rounds: Knit.
Round 3: K1, * C4F, k1, k2tog, k1; repeat from * around—71 sts remain.
Round 5: * K5, k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—61 sts remain.
Round 7: * K1, k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—41 sts remain.
Round 9: * k2tog; repeat from * around to last st, k1—21 sts remain.
Round 11: Repeat Round 9—11 sts remain.
Round 12: Repeat Round 2.
Cut yarn, leaving an 18" tail.
Thread yarn needle with tail, run tail through remaining sts; pull to gather top and fasten off securely.
Using yarn needle, weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Beginner's Favorite Knitted Hat
- 19 Free Hat Knitting Patterns
- Men's Winter Hat and Scarf
- Knit and Crochet Nature Hat
- Pink Cabled Hat and Scarf
- Vintage Tie Up Headband Knitting Pattern
- Quick and Easy Knit in the Round Hat
- Cable Knit Scarf and Hat
- Gray Knit Scarf Set for Men
- Soft Cable Hat Knitting Pattern
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Balance Focus DIY Postcards
- Energizing Mandala Printables
- Washi Tape Coloring Sheet
- Healing Hearts Coloring Page
- Peacock Printable Coloring Page
- Merry Tree Adult Coloring Page
- Easy Christmas Paper Sock
- Pom Pom DIY Christmas Tree
- Merry Popsicle Stick Ornament
- Paper Snowman DIY Ornaments