Holiday Vest for Baby
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Use this intermediate knitting pattern to create an adorable holiday vest for the smallest family member. This baby vest knitting pattern from Red Heart Yarn is full of color, but you do not have to switch yarns.Check out the matching holiday socks pattern shown in this picture.
- RED HEART® “Heart and Sole®”: 2 (3, 3, 4) skeins 3973 Christmas.
- Knitting Needles: Vest - 3.25mm [US 3] straight and 16” circular and 3.5mm [US 4] straight.
- Stitch holders, stitch markers, yarn needle.
Gauge: 28 sts and 36 rows = 4” in St st on size US 4 (3.5mm) needle.
Vest Sizes: 6 (12, 18, 24) months
Finished Chest: 20 (22, 24½, 27)”
Length: 10 (11, 12, 13)”
SSK (slip, slip, knit) = Slip next 2sts knitwise, one at a time, onto right needle; insert point of left needle into fronts of these 2 stitches and knit them together from this position.
- With smaller needles, cast on 70 (78, 86, 94) sts.
- Next row (WS): (P2, k2) across row, ending with p2.
- Next row: (K2, p2) across row, ending with k2. Repeat last 2 rows for ¾ (¾, 1, 1)”, ending with a WS row.
- Change to larger needles and work in St st until back measures 5 (5½, 6, 6½)”, ending with a WS row.
- Bind off 6 sts at beginning of next 2 rows, 3 sts at beginning of next 2 rows, 2 sts at beginning of next 2 rows and 1 st at beginning of next 4 rows [44 (52, 60, 68) sts]. Work even in St st until armhole measures 4½ (5, 5½, 6)”, ending with a WS row.
Shape Back Neck:
- K13 (15, 17, 19) sts, slip center 18 (22, 26, 30) sts on holder, attach another ball of yarn and knit remaining 13 (15, 17, 19) sts. Working both sides at the same time, dec 1 st at each neck edge every row 3 times [10 (12, 14, 16) sts]. Work even until armhole measures 5 (5½, 6, 6½)”. Bind off.
- With smaller needles, cast on 70 (78, 86, 94) sts. Work same as for Back until 2 rows before armhole shaping.
- (RS): K34 (38, 42, 46), slip next 2 sts onto a holder or safety pin. Join second ball of yarn and knit remaining 34 (38, 42, 46) sts. Working both sides at the same time, shape as Back for armholes AND AT THE SAME TIME dec 1 st at each neck edge every 3rd row 11 (13, 15, 17) times [10 (12, 14, 16) sts]. Work even until piece measures same as Back to shoulders. Bind off.
- Sew shoulders seams.
Knit armhole bands:
- With smaller needles and RS facing, pick up 74 (82, 90, 98) sts. Work p2, k2 rib as for bottom of vest for ¾”. Bind off in rib.
- With smaller circular needle and RS facing, starting at right shoulder seam, pick up 4 sts down right back neck, knit across 18 (22, 26, 30) sts on holder, pick up 4 sts up left back neck, 38 (42, 46, 50) sts down left front neck, k2 sts at bottom of front neck, placing a marker between the two sts, then pick up 38 (42, 46, 50) sts up right front neck edge [104 (116, 128, 140) sts]. Place different color marker on needle to note beginning of round. Working in the round, work k2, p2 rib around entire neck.
- Work in rib to 2 sts before marker at bottom of neck, k2tog, slip marker, ssk, work in rib to end of round.
- Work in rib. Repeat the last 2 rounds until neck band measures ¾”. Bind off in rib. Sew side seams.
- Weave in ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 11 Crochet Shawl Patterns: Crochet Poncho Patterns, Free Easy Crochet Patterns and More
- 12 Knitted Scarf Patterns: Fabulous Free Knitting Patterns for Beginners
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 16 Free Crochet Hat Patterns, Scarves, and Gloves
- 22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More
- 24 Quick and Easy Knitting Patterns
- 7 Adult Coloring Pages
- 8 Free Apron Sewing Patterns
- Easy Lace Knitting Patterns
- Quick & Easy Decoupage: 12 Fabulous Mod Podge Projects for Your Home
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Lacy Purple Cowl Crochet Pattern
- Printable Quote Coloring Sheet
- Imp Hair Hat
- V-Stitch Hats For All
- Celtic Passion Beanie
- Bright and Colorful Loom Knit Hat
- Super Bulky Oversized Messy Bun Hat
- Seashore Messy Bun Hat
- Heart Quartet Mandala Coloring Page
- Short n Sassy Messy Bun Hat