6 President's Day Crafts, Facts and Videos
By: Kelly Mellott
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Patriotic crafts for children are an excellent way to teach them about the history of our founding fathers and the workings of the different branches of United States government. FaveCrafts has put together this collection of easy patriotic handmade crafts you can do with your child to celebrate numerous American celebrations - use these ideas for President’s Day crafts, Memorial Day crafts, Veterans Day crafts, Flag Day crafts and more. Teachers and tutors will also find these projects useful accompanied with lessons on the Revolutionary War, lessons on the presidential election process, lessons on the Constitution, and so many more ideas – the possibilities are endless!
Table of Contents:
Patriotic Homemade Crafts
All American Tin
Make this festive tin to hold tiny treasures in a country home, in your purse, at camp, or on a trip.
Designed by Treasure It for Kreinik
- Patriotic scrapbook paper
- Red, white or blue fabric
- Kreinik #12 Braid metallic thread 003, 100, 051HL
- Diamond Beadlets®
- 4" x 6" Treasure Tape
- 1/2" Treasure Tape roll
- Shallow pan or tray
- Sand (optional)
1. Cut scrapbook paper (any scrap paper with a cool image is fine) to fit top of tin. Cut 1/8" smaller than lid.
2. Use glue stick or Treasure Tape scraps to secure image to tin.
3. Cut 4" x 6" Treasure Tape sheet to fit lid, then place it over the image.
4. Peel back red liner to expose sticky part, then decorate the image with metallic thread.
5. Place lid in shallow pan or tray, and cover with Diamond Beadlets®.
6. Use 1/2" Tape to wrap around side of tin.
7. Cut fabric pieces (or paper) to use to decorate. This creates a mosaic look.
8. Use metallic threads to add color and design.
9. Dip in Diamond Beadlets (or sand!)
Tip: When applying "stringy embellishments" like ribbon, embroidery threads and fibers to double-sided Treasure Tape, you can easily pull up the design and start again if you make a mistake or want to try a different design. When using red liner Treasure Tape it is best to cut with Teflon® coated scissors -- or use adhesive remover to wipe the residue off your scissors.
George Washington Powdered Wig
Dress-up like the birthday boy himself – our very first president George Washington – with this fun and educational project.
- Approximately half a bag of cotton balls per wig
- Paper painter’s cap
- Black ribbon
- White craft glue
- Safety scissors
- Give the painter’s hat a little more shape by stuffing some rags or towels inside it to make it stand as though it will when placed on your child’s head.
- Glue cotton balls directly to the hat as if they were the curls of a wig. Cover the entire hat.
- Cut enough of the ribbon to tie a small bow. Glue the bow to the cotton balls as if a ponytail that would hang over the nape of the neck.
- Let your child wear and feel like a true American patriot.
Obama Symbol Paper Plate
Help your child join in the excitement and celebration of our new President with this easy and cheap President's Day craft idea.
- Paper Plate
- A copy or pattern of the Obama "O" logo
- Acrylic paint in red, white, and blue
- Draw the Obama "o" pattern on the paper plate. The middle part of the plate should become the white of the O inside the outer ridge.
- Paint the top portion of the outer ridge blue and the horizontal stripes red and white like the American flag.
- Allow to dry completely. Have your child learn a few facts about President Obama. Discuss with them the historical importance of his election to office.
- Presidents Day, also known as Washington’s Birthday or Washington and Lincoln Day, is a United States Federal Holiday, celebrated the third Monday of February.
- Presidents’ Day is also known as a day to celebrate General Washington’s creation of the first military badge of merit for the common soldier – the Purple Heart – which was revived on Washington’s 200th birthday in 1932. Many people honor US veterans over Washington’s birthday weekend.
- In New Mexico, President’s Day, as a state government paid holiday, is observed on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
- Because Presidents Day is not the official name for the federal holiday, many spellings are accepted with no right or wrong. President’s Day, Presidents Day, and Presidents’ Day are all commonly used spellings of the holiday’s name.
How to Make a Patriotic Votive Video:
This great craft from HGTV could be used for any patriotic holiday from Fourth of July, to Labor Day weekend, to President’s Day this is a great red white and blue craft idea.
Tags / Related Topics
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Clay Pot Snowman
- Fuzzy Snowman Family
- Recycled Table Centerpiece
- "Creative Ideas for the Holiday Home" eBook
- Clothespin Holiday Tree
- "Creative Crafting All Year Round" eBook
- Smiling Snowman in a Box
- 13 Memorial Day Crafts and a Short History of Memorial Day
- Holiday Pastel Ribbon Wreath
- 38 Holiday Crafts: Holiday Decorating Ideas for Every Season
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Balance Focus DIY Postcards
- Energizing Mandala Printables
- Washi Tape Coloring Sheet
- Healing Hearts Coloring Page
- Peacock Printable Coloring Page
- Merry Tree Adult Coloring Page
- Easy Christmas Paper Sock
- Pom Pom DIY Christmas Tree
- Merry Popsicle Stick Ornament
- Paper Snowman DIY Ornaments