Create a nautical jewelry box using a mirror and stencils, from Etchworld Armour.
- Armour Etch Cream
- Rub N Etch Stencil #20-0181Nautical 1
- Unfinished 8” x8” Wood Box
- 4”x4” Beveled Mirror
- 1 yd Decorator Rope Trim (type used for draperies and pillows)
- Medium Brown Shoe Polish
- Glass Cleaner
- Paper Towels
- 1” Wide Masking Tape
- Disposable Craft Brush
- Thin Rubber Gloves
- 2 Pieces Soft Buffing Cloth
- Tack cloth
- Fine Sand Paper
- Multi-Surface Bonding Glue
- Clean Mirror thoroughly with glass cleaner.
- Apply stencil according to directions on Rub N Etch stencil package.
- Apply Etch cream over stencil.
- Put aside & let dry
- Lightly sand wood box with sandpaper. Remove all dust with tack cloth.
- With a soft cloth, rub small amounts of shoe polish onto wood box. Stain entire box inside and out, unless you plan on lining box. In that case, stain outside only. Re-apply until you achieve a nice finish. Buff surface with a clean piece of cloth until excess polish is gone. Let dry for about an hour.
- Apply small dabs of multi-surface glue around underside of mirror. Avoid gluing too close to edge. Center mirror on lid of box and press down.
- Apply a small border of glue on the wood around edge of mirror, about half as wide as your trim.
- Starting in lower right hand corner of mirror, about 8” from the end of rope trim, lay trim down in tract of glue. Let dry. Tie an overhand knot where trim meets. Put a dot of glue on underside of knot and press onto lid.
- Tie a knot on each end of trim, leaving enough to make tassels. Fray ends.