Classic Cameo Ornament
By: Lisa Galvin, CCD, CPD for Amaco
Use porcelain and pliable plastic to create a classic cameo surrounded with ivory gimp, from AMACO.
- AMACO® Porcelain-Like Face— Item No. 14147H
- AMACO® Friendly Plastic® in colors of your choice—used here were: Red/Red, Metallic Solid Purple/Black, Metallic Solid Gold/Black, and Metallic Solid Silver/Black
- AMACO® Friendly Plastic® Needle Tool
- AMACO® Work Mat
- Small oval paper mache ornament
- 3/4" wide gimp fabric trim with twist in Ivory
- Gold paper
- Therm O Web® Peel 'n Stick double
- sided adhesive
- 1/8" rayon cord
- Beacon™ Adhesive Co.: FabriTac™
- permanent glue
- 2 straight pins
- Non-stick electric skillet or saucepan
- Heat electric skillet (or sauce pan) filled with approx. 2" of water until it steams (should not be boiling). Fill a small bowl with cool water.
- Hat: Place a 1" piece of Red/Red Friendly Plastic® face side down in steaming water. Touching one corner only; use needle tool to maneuver it around bottom of skillet until soft and pliable.
- Dampen fingers with cool water. Use needle tool to remove plastic from skillet and place across top two thirds of head, resembling a swimming cap. Work with dampened fingers to maneuver the softened plastic in place, wrapping slightly around edges to back side of head. Face side up; press lightly onto work mat to smooth back while still soft.
- Place a 2" piece of Red/Red Friendly Plastic® place face down in steaming water. Once softened, remove from water with needle tool. Fold in half lengthwise; with wrong sides pressed together. Pinch lightly to remove any air pockets. With fold side facing you, work quickly to press the opposite softened plastic edges directly onto side edges of the plastic "swim cap" to join. Continue to manipulate hat to shape as desired. Let cool approximately 5 minutes to harden.