This crochet shawl for summer is great to wear over a dress on a chilly summer night. Try this free crochet pattern to make a pretty shawl with fringe for all of those special occasions.
- Crochet hook: US size K/10.5 (6.5mm); tapestry needle (tn)
- Caron International’s Feathers (65% acrylic / 35% nylon; 1.75oz / 50g, 70yd / 64m): 8 skeins #0009 Sandpiper
In pattern st, 5 [dc, ch 1] and 5 rows = 4"/10 cm
Pattern stitch is very flexible; Gauge is not crucial for this project.
Double crochet (dc)
Single crochet (sc)
Triple crochet (tr)
Slip stitch (sl st)
- Ch 4; join with a sl st to first ch to form a ring.
- Row 1: Ch 4 (counts as tr), work 2 dc, 1 tr in ring, turn—4 sts.
- Row 2: Ch 4 (counts as tr, ch 1), work [1 dc in space between sts, ch 1] twice, work [dc, ch 1, tr] in turning ch (inc), turn—5 sts/4 ch-1 spaces.
- Row 3: Ch 4 (counts as tr ch-1), [dc, ch 1, dc] in first ch-1 space (inc), ch 1, * dc in next ch-1 space, ch 1; repeat from * to turning ch, work [dc, ch 1, tr] in turning ch (inc), turn—7 sts/6 ch-1 spaces.
- Repeat Row 3, increasing 2 sts each row until there are 83 sts/82 ch-1 spaces; do not break yarn, turn.
Continuing along upper edge, ch 1, work 1 sc in first ch-1 space, * 3 dc in next ch-1 space, sc in next ch-1 space; repeat from * to turning ch, end 1 sc in turning ch; do NOT break yarn, do NOT turn.
Ch 15, sc in same space as last sc (turning ch); continuing along side edge, * ch 15, sc in next space; repeat from * around, working [ch 15, sc in beginning ring] twice to turn the corner; join with a sl st to first sc of Shell edging.