Roman Inspired Throw
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Go back a few hundred years with this Roman Inspired Throw that is patterned to look like an old Aqueduct. This easy crochet pattern will inspire your home with a vintage feel and it's great for decorating either your living room or bedroom. Perfect for curling up with by a fire or using to keep warm as you sit outside, this Roman Inspired Throw is a decorative afghan that you're sure to use again and again.
- 4 skeins Red Heart® Super Saver® yarn in Real Teal (A)
- 3 skeins Red Heart® Super Saver® yarn in Frosty Green (B)
- 5.5mm [US I-9] crochet hook
- Stitch markers
- Tapestry needle
Gauge: 13 sts = 4"; and 9 rows = 4" in pattern. CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles/hook to obtain the gauge given.
- FPhdc – front post half double crochet – yo, insert hook from the front, around behind the post and out again to the front; yo, and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- BPhdc – back post half double crochet – yo, insert hook from the back, around the post and out again to the back; yo, and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- Pay close attention when to turn work; turn every other row, not every row. Do not cut unused color; carry it along side edge. Beginning ch 3 counts as a st.
- To change to A in final st: With final 2 loops of B sc remaining on hook, remove A loop from st holder and place on end of hook, draw A through final 2 loops of sc, completing the st.
Throw measures 46" x 59".
- With A, ch 144.
- Row 1 (Right Side) : Dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next ch; * skip next 2 chs, dc in next ch, 3 dc in next ch, dc in next ch; repeat from * across, ending skip next 2 chs, dc in next ch, 2 dc in final ch, drop loop from hook and place on st marker. Do NOT turn – 141 sts.
- Row 2 (Right Side): – Join B with sc in top of turning ch- 3, sc in next st; *ch 3, skip next 2 sts, sc in next, FPhdc in next st, sc in next st; repeat from * across, ending ch 3, skip 2 sts, sc in each of last 2 sts, change to A in final st, drop B – 28 ch-3 spaces.
- Row 3: Turn, with A, ch 3; * 5 dc in ch-3 space; repeat from across ending, dc in final st, place A loop from hook to st marker. Do NOT turn – 142 sts.
- Row 4: Starting at beginning of previous row, draw B through top of ch-3, ch 1, sc in top of ch-3, ch 1, skip next dc, * sc in next dc, BPhdc in next dc, sc in next dc, ch 3, skip next 2 dc; repeat from * across, ending sc in next dc, BPhdc in next dc, sc in next dc, ch 1, skip next st, sc in final st, changing to A – 2 ch-1 spaces; 27 ch-3 spaces.
- Row 5: Turn, with A, ch 3, dc in first sc, dc in ch-1 space; *5 dc in next ch-3 space; repeat from * ending dc in ch-1 space, 2 dc in final sc, place A loop from hook to st marker. Do NOT turn – 141 sts.
- Row 6: Starting at beginning of previous row, draw B through top of ch-3, ch 1, sc in top of ch-3, sc in next st; *ch 3, skip next 2 sts, sc in next, FPhdc in next st, sc in next st; repeat from * across, ending ch 3, skip next 2 sts, sc in each of last 2 sts, change to A in final st, drop B – 28 ch-3 spaces.
- Rows 7- 125: Repeat Row 3-6 ending after a Row 5. Fasten off.
- Rnd 1: Join A with sc in upper right hand corner; work an additional 138 sc across top; work 1 more sc in final st of top edge; working in ends of rows evenly work 157 sc along side edge; working in opposite side of foundation ch, 2 sc in first ch; work an additional 138 sc across bottom edge; work 1 more sc in opposite side of final ch; working in ends of rows evenly work 157 sc along second side edge; work 1 sc in same place as beginning sc – 596 sc.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1 for corner; sc in each st around, placing a ch 1 between the 2 sc in each corner; ending with sc in final sc of previous row – 596 sc; 4 ch-1 spaces.
- Rnd 3: (Sc, ch 1, sc) in first ch-1 space, sc in each sc around and (sc, ch 1, sc) in each ch-1 space–604 sc; 4 ch-1 spaces. Fasten off.
- Rnd 4: Join B with sc in any ch-1 space, ch 3, sc in same space; sc in next 2 sts, *ch 3, skip 1 st, sc in each of next 3 sts; repeat from * until 3 sts from next corner, ch 3, skip 1 st, sc in each of next 2 sts, (sc, ch 3, sc) in ch-1 space, sc in each of next 2 sts; repeat from * around, join with slip st in beginning sc – 462 sc; 154 ch-3 spaces.
- Rnd 5: Slip st in ch-3 space, (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same space; * skip next sc, slip st in next sc, skip next sc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-3 space; repeat from * around, ending skip last sc, join with slip st in top of beginning ch 3. Fasten off.
- Finishing: Weave in yarn ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- Bavarian Rainbow Afghan
- 30 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners + 2 New Crochet Patterns
- Bold and Beautiful Catherines Wheel Crochet Throw
- Foolproof Afghan
- Cupcake Afghan
- Beginner Granny Afghan
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Granny Square Crochet Afghan
- Weekend-Wonder Giant Granny Square Throw
- Southern Cross Afghan
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Scottish Terrier Dog Crochet Amigurumi Pattern
- Silly Kids DIY Shoe Decoration
- Stenciled Chalkboard Happy Birthday Card
- Sweet Doily Cards Spring Craft
- Illuminated Blossoms Spring Craft
- Colorful Napkin Wreath Spring Craft
- Large Silk DIY Flower Arrangement
- Kiddie Blocks Toilet Paper Roll Craft
- Easy DIY Castle Printables
- Simple Yarn Easter Baskets