A feather and flower topiary makes for an elegant wedding centerpiece in this wedding craft project. The base is painted with soft colors appropriate for bridal decor. This centerpiece perfectly matches the Feather Flower Cones.
See this project and more in 27 Topiary Craft Projects.
DecoArt Products Required
No-Prep Metal Paint
- DMP02 - Ivory
- DMP09 - Strawberry Shake
- DMP27 - Sage Green
- 1" flat brush
- White feather boa
- White floral silk flowers
- 4" Styrofoam ball
- 1/4" dowel rod
- Green floral foam brick
- Straight edge ruler
- Water container
- Floral pins
- Palette or plastic plate
- Paper towels
- Low-temp hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Metal Box Container
1. Clean metal box with vinegar and rinse well with water. Allow to air dry before painting.
2. Basecoat box Ivory using 1" flat brush. Allow to dry.
3. Use ruler and pencil to mark box surface into nine sections: four of these sections being larger for Strawberry Shake and Sage Green. (See photo for placement.) Create thin section between these larger ones to reveal Ivory between each larger section.
4. With 3/4" flat brush, paint first large section Strawberry Shake and next Sage Green. Repeat with remaining two large sections. Allow paint to dry.
5. Paint dowel rod Strawberry Shake. Allow to dry.
6. Gently insert painted dowel rod into 4" Styrofoam ball. Secure with hot glue.
7. Cover Styrofoam ball entirely with white silk flowers and secure with floral pins or hot glue.
8. Trim green floral foam brick to fit and insert into metal container.
9. Pull apart feather boa gently, and insert ends of feathers into green floral foam brick, covering surface thoroughly. Secure with glue, if necessary.
10. Insert opposite end of dowel rod into center of floral foam brick.