This great summer beehive wreath will look great hanging on your door. It's a quick and easy DIY craft anyone would love to have in their home. Don't worry, these bees won't sting.
- STYROFOAM* Brand Products:
- Wreath, 11-7/8" x 1-7/8"
- Egg, 6-7/8" x 4-3/4"
- Balls, ten 3/4"
- Dried materials: Spanish moss, seed pods, purple statice, assorted stems
- Acrylic craft paint: yellow, black, green
- Paper cord, natural
- Silk zinnias, five yellow
- Silk leaves, 18 - 20
- Paper, white
- Paintbrushes: No. 8 shader and No. 1 pointed round
- Serrated knife
- Round nosed pliers
- Thick white craft glue or low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Using serrated knife, slice 1" from wide end of foam egg. (HINT: For smoother cuts, wax the knife blade with an old candle.) To cover egg with paper cord, use the needle-nose pliers to bend one end of paper cord into a small spiral; glue spiral to top of egg. Continue winding and gluing cord until egg is covered.
- Insert a toothpick into each foam ball to use as a handle while painting. Paint balls yellow; let dry. Paint eyes and black stripes using No.1 brush. Cut five toothpicks in half and paint black; insert pick in nose of each bee. Cut wings from white paper; glue to bees. Paint six toothpicks green; insert and glue to underside of six bees (these are the bees that will be added to the wreath; the remaining four bees will be glued to the hive).
- Glue hive to inside of wreath. Cover wreath with Spanish moss. Referring to photo, glue zinnias and silk leaves to wreath. Fill in with additional dried materials. Dip ends of six green toothpicks into glue; insert bees in wreath. Glue remaining four bees to hive.
®™* Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow