Bird's Nest Clay Pot Christmas Ornaments
By: Lori Knowles of HappyBird's Crafting Haven
Use tiny clay pots to create Christmas ornaments featuring nesting birds. You can decorate the clay pot Christmas ornaments in a variety of Christmas themes.
- Tiny Terra Cotta Pots with Drainage Hole (Be sure to wash!)
- Gold Leaf Paint OR Silver Leaf Paint
- Glossy Acrylic Spray
- Elmer's Craft Bond Glue (If using the glitter Method)
- Aileen's Bead Glue OR E-6000 (If using the rhinestone method)
- Spanish Moss
- Tiny Birds
- Organza Ribbon
- Ultra Fine Glitter (If using the glitter method)
- Clear Flat-Back Rhinestones (If using the rhinestone method)
- Gold OR Silver Bead String
- Small Snowflake Scrapbooking Stickers (Optional)
- I bought the tiny pots at Michael’s for .58 cents each. Be sure to wash the pots with a grease-cutting dishwashing liquid (such as Dawn) and water. Don’t skip this step, or your paint could peel off. Make sure the pots are thoroughly dry before you start painting them.
- With a flat brush, paint the pots with Liquid Leaf in Classic Gold OR Liquid Leaf in Silver. You can purchase Liquid Leaf at Michael's for $5.99 a jar AND if you use a Michael's 40% off coupon, it's even better.
- If you decide to place glitter on the rim of the pot, paint a fairly generous amount of Elmer’s Craft Bond glue on the rim of the pot. Make sure you don’t forget the front part of the rim as well. I used the Martha Stewart ultra- fine glitter.
- After the pots have dried thoroughly, spray a coat of Clear Gloss Acrylic spray. This will prevent any nicks in the paint that may occur over time.
- At this point, you will need to string organza ribbon through your pot and tie in a pretty bow at the top of the pot’s rim. Michael’s sells pots that already have drainage holes in them, so you won’t need to drill anything.
- If you have decided to glue flat back rhinestones on the rim, use Aileene's Glass and Bead glue OR E-6000 to attach the rhinestones to the lip of the pot. I would highly recommend allowing the rhinestones to set for at least 24 hours.
- Using your low temp hot glue gun, glue a little Spanish Moss inside, and perch your little feathered friend on top. I snipped my moss into smaller pieces, however, this step is not required.
- Lastly, string and tie gold ornament thread under the ribbon and you have a sweet little ornament. You may also want to add a couple of snowflake stickers to the pot, however, this is up to you. You now have a sweet little bird ornament!