Big Rock Candy Choker
By: Katie Hacker for Beadalon
Use glass beads and double rondelle beads to create this choker from Katie Hacker that looks almost good enough to eat.
- 12 - 20mm nuggets, light amethyst
- 13 - 10mm colorful striped furnace glass beads
- 26 - 6mm silver double rondelle beads
- Sterling EZ-Crimp™ S-hook clasp
- 17 1/2 in. length - Beadalon 49 strand .024 in.
- Chain nose pliers (201E-002) or crimper
- Beadalon Designer flush cutter
Finished Size : 18 in.
- Begin by cutting Beadalon 19 strand satin silver wire into 22 in. lengths. String white seed beads onto two of the 22 in. strands. After stringing each bead, circle the seed bead with the wire and go back through the bead. Continue, spacing the beads at approximately 2 in. (5 cm) intervals.
- After stringing 2 strands with the 16 white beads, begin doing the same with the larger 6/0 beads on 4 strands. Vary the spacing slightly on each strand to give more bead coverage. After completing the larger beads, begin stringing the remaining 9 strands with the treasure beads. Use more or fewer beads to suit your personal taste.
- Align all strands on one end and apply BeadFix to the inside of one of the heavy tube cord ends. Insert all 13 strands, allow time for the glue to set.
- Carefully align the other end. Use flush cutters to trim ends to fit into the remaining tube cord end. Apply BeadFix inside the cord end and insert strands. Set aside for 24 hours to allow the adhesive to cure properly.
- Make the drops:
Use the 3 spacer beads with 3 6/0 seed beads and the 3 dog bone beads. Insert head pin into 6/0 seed bead then into small spacer dichroic bead then into dog bone bead. Form a loop using round nose pliers and cut the excess wire. Put the first loop onto one of the strands at the center. Make two more drops in this fashion. Attach these at an equal distance from the center drop. Then use one each of the 6/0 seed beads and the tube dichroic bead to make two more drops. Form loops on these and add these in between the other drops.
- Attach duet clasp with medium round jump rings.