Green Heart Key Ring Fob
By: Amy Mickelson for Rings and Things
This lovely green and silver key ring with glass heart beads from Rings & Things is a great gift for St. Patrick's Day. Get together with friends and craft them together, while enjoying some Irish food or drink. Find more St. Patrick's Day craft projects, recipes and fun facts in our FREE St. Patrick's Day eBook.
Materials (Available from Rings & Things) :
- 1 #30-832-1 24mm key ring, white
- 4 #41-219-1 9mm split rings, white
- 4 #37-422-3 2” standard head pins silver plate
- 1 #37-423-1 3” standard head pin, white
- 3” #40-099-03-1 5mm hammered long & short curb chain, white
- 1 #28-359-50-999 28mm foil-lined glass heart bead, rose/mint
- 3 #28-359-04-042 12mm foil-lined glass heart beads, crystal
- 1 #23-386-632 6mm glass heart bead, blue zircon
- 2 #49-947-22-AS Spiral heart cast charms, antiqued silver
- 6 #20-228-048 Size 11 TOHO® seed beads, crystal/ silver-lined
- 6 #20-228-291 Size 11 TOHO seed beads, lavender
- 2 #23-264-043 Size 5 “E” beads, crystal/aurora borealis
- Round-nose pliers
- flat-nose pliers
- side cutters
- split-ring pliers
- Using side cutters, cut a 3” piece of chain. Using split-ring pliers, attach one 9mm split ring to each end of the chain. Attach one end to the key ring.
- Create four small heart charms. To each 2” head pin, add one seed bead, one heart bead, and one more seed bead. Make a wrapped loop, using round-nose pliers. Before completing the wrapped loop on one of the charms, attach it to the chain, close to the bottom (see instructions and example below). Set the other three charms aside.
- Create one large heart charm. To the 3” head pin, add one seed bead, one “E” bead, one 28mm heart bead, one “E” bead and another seed bead. Using round-nose pliers, make a double-wrapped loop. Attach a split ring to the loop of this charm, and then attach this component to the key ring, using split-ring pliers.
- Using split-ring pliers, attach one antiqued-silver spiral heart charm and two glass heart charms (one crystal, one blue zircon) to the split ring at the end of the chain.
- Using split-ring pliers, attach a second antiqued-silver spiral heart charm, and the final glass heart charm to another split ring. Attach this component to the key ring.
- OPTIONAL: Cut two 24” pieces of the ribbon or yarn of your choice. Attach to key ring using the larks-head knot.
WIREWRAPPED LOOP TIP: (For best results, use both chain-nose and round-nose pliers.)
- Use chain-nose pliers to grasp the wire just above the top of the bead.
- Use your fingers to bend the wire sharply over the top of the pliers, at a 90° angle. You should have 2-3mm of straight wire between the bead and the bend (less for fine-gauge wire, more for heavy wire or more wraps).
- Use round-nose pliers to grasp a spot just above the bend, and use your fingers to smoothly bend the wire all the way around the tip of the pliers. (For different sizes of loops, bend the wire around thinner or thicker portions of the pliers’ tip.)
- Now use pliers to grasp the wire firmly across the loop. Use your fingers or chain- nose pliers to carefully wrap the wire around the stem. For best control, experts recommend you break this step into a series of half wraps.
- Trim excess with flush cutters.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts