Embellished Thread Bowl

search

Embellished Thread Bowl

2 Comments

Using water-soluble stabilizer as in the project for fiber scarves, you can create beautiful, translucent thread bowls and vases. This bowl from C&T Publishing, embellished with Perle cotton thread, is inspired by Wendy Hill's Fast, Fun & Easy (R) Incredible Thread-a-Bowls

Thread Embellished Fiber Bowl

Materials:

• Water-soluble stabilizer
  • Perle cotton thread from Valdani thread- size 12
  • Large glass bowl
  • UV resistant clear acrylic coating

Instructions:

1. I found the largest glass bowl I had and measured across the outside of the bowl.

2. I used that measurement to draw a circle on heavyweight water-soluble stabilizer.

Thread Bowl Step 2

3. Using regular weight thread, I first free-motioned stitched a grid, then I went back and free-motioned fairly densely all over.

4. I drew the design that I wanted to use on another piece of water-soluble stabilizer and pinned it to the stitched stabilizer.

Thread Bowl Step 4

5. I stitched out my design in size 12 Perle cotton, washed out most of the stabilizer, and draped it over my glass bowl to dry.

6. After the bowl was dry, I took it off the glass bowl and sprayed the thread bowl with a few coats of UV resistant clear Acrylic coating.

Thread Bowl Embellishment Detail

Your Recently Viewed Projects

Leave a Comment

Rate

Cancel Reply to Comment

Thanks for your comment. Don't forget to share!

I love this idea! There are so many different versions that come to mind. coin bowl, button bowl, coffee table bowl that I put pine cones in. Paper mache and threads ,,, soooooo pretty!

This bowl is BEAUTIFUL. I was wondering, is it capable of holding liquids, being washed etc? or is it purely decorative? Judy

Close

Report Inappropriate Comment

Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.

Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.

Close Window