Add an American flag applique from Sulky of America with frayed edges to any shirt for instant patriotism. Wear on the 4th of July or anytime. The look is quite stylish!
- Sewing Machine and 14/90 needle
- Sulky Tear-Easy Stabilizer
- Sulkly KK 2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive
- USA Flag Print Fabrics
- Sulky Holoshimmer Metallic Thread #6045 Multi-color
- Sharp-pointed scissors
- General Sewing Supplies
1. Chose your favorite USA Flag Print
2. Carol chose a combination of prints that she cut apart and repositioned to applique this child's ready-made sweatshirt. Trim your print for placement, leaving a 3/4" seam allowance all around the outside edges.
3. Turn the sweatshirt inside out and place your trimmed flag print RIGHT SIDE DOWN on the INSIDE of the sweatshirt. To hold it in place spray a little KK 2000 on the right side of the print on the seam allowance areas only.
4. Using regular sewing thread on top and Sulky Invisible Thread in the bobbin, straight stitch from the back, along the design lines, i.e., around the star and down the stripes.
5. Spray KK 2000 on a sheet of Sulky Tear-Easy and place it over the back of the print on the inside of the sweatshirt. Turn the sweatshirt right side out.
6. Thread the top with Sulky Holoshimmer #6045 Multi-color, and the bobbin with Sulky 40 wt. Rayon to match the sweatshirt. Choose an appropriate decorative stitch like the starburst stitch that Carol used.
7. From the right side, stitch over all of the straight stitch lines.
8. Carefully cut away within 1'4" of the stitching, all of the top sweatshirt layer covering the Star shapes and the Sripes print. Carefully clip notches in the remaining 1/4" to create a frayed look. Wear with pride!