This Easy Mop Doll is a great country craft idea. Make it unique by adding beads, ribbons, and bows. This makes a great cuddle toy because it's made of soft material, so babies will love it!
- 24 inch mop or if you would like to add color you can use yarn
- 1/4 yard muslin or broadcloth for head
- Craft sticks
- Fiber fill stuffing
- Sewing machine or can be stitched by hand if thread is strong enough
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- 9 inch straw hat or can make a bonnet
- Doll hair or use left over mop material
- Beads, Flower or Ribbon and lace ( for decoration)
- 3/8 yards printed material, for clothes
- Iron on face, found at craft store or I like to draw my own face for character
- First thing to do is make a circle from the muslin or broadcloth. 6 inches, make a neck piece at the bottom, about 1/2 inch large than the craft stick. Cut out 2 of these. Stitch around, leaving open the neck edge. Clip edges at angle around circle,(this is to help the turning) Now, turn the circle inside out, press. Iron on the face features. This also can be done before the sewing (can be done by hand or with sewing machine) or the turning. I like to do it after. Gets the face more centered.
- Lightly stuff the head with the fiber fill. Do this a little filling at a time. Push it up into the head with the eraser end of a pencil. Should be rounded, but not stuffed too much. Now insert the craft stick into the neck opening and glue to hold in place.
- Lay the mop on a flat work surface. Have the sewn on band in the middle, hold the band and pull out 6 of the stings, just a tug and they will come out. These will be used to tie off ends later. Now across the top, divide the upper portion to use for arms. Braid to the end of each side, or leave free. Tie with one of the saved strings. Right below the band of the mop use another string and tie around tightly to form a waist. Leave the rest of the mop to form a skirt or divide to make legs. If making legs, braid each side and tie off with the saved strings as in the arms.
- Braiding the arms and with top sections braid arms.
- Tie the braid to secure using reserved strings.
- Trim the ends to about 2 inches.
- With end of the craft stick, glue the head to the band in the center of the mop. Cover this with material, lace or ribbon. Make a skirt, using elastic, glue at waist. Glue doll hair around head. Add a hat, bows, beads, flowers or whatever you choose.