Your inner decorator will "ooh-and-aah" over this designer original. STYROFOAM® brand foam makes it easy to experiment with colors and finishes for your home.
- STYROFOAM Brand Foam:
- Block, 18" x 12" x 1"
- Sheet, 36" x 12" x 1/2"
- Metallic gold spray paint
- Ivory crackle-finish spray paint
- Metallic gold wax finish
- Matte-finish spray varnish
- Pre-mixed spackling
- Floral pins, three
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Wooden toothpicks
- Paper towels
- Thick, white craft glue
- Optional: STYRO Wonder Cutter® Plus
For pattern, click here.
Note: Follow manufacturer's instructions throughout.
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Measure and cut one 5" x 16-1/4" "board" from 1"-thick foam block. Note: Remaining 1" foam may be used to create matching clock (see link above). Measure and cut one 5-1/2" x 17" and one 6" x 18" board from 1/2"-thick foam sheet. Use scrap foam to lightly sand foam edges.
- Center and glue 5-1/2" board on top of 6" board. Center and glue 5" board on top of 5-1/2" board. Glue and insert three evenly spaced toothpicks through all three boards to secure. Let dry.
- Enlarge pattern 200%; transfer to remaining 1/2"-thick foam. Use waxed knife or Wonder Cutter to cut out scroll. Use scrap foam to round off edges.
- Refer to diagram to glue six toothpicks halfway into scroll edge. Glue opposite ends into top of 5" foam board, aligning edges. Glue and insert floral pins into back of layered shelf. Let dry completely.
- Apply spackling to shelf; let dry. Sand smooth. Repeat to fill in open areas as needed. Spray paint shelf gold, then ivory crackle while gold is still wet. For smaller cracks, apply one to two coats of crackle finish; for larger cracks, apply three to four coats. Let dry.
- Use fingers to lightly rub two coats gold wax finish on foam edges and curves for aged, distressed look. Spray shelf with varnish; let dry. Repeat.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.