Skull Dog Coat
By: Deb Ritchey for Caron Yarn
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
For the little dog with a lot of attitude, crochet this skull-theme dog coat. Keep your favorite pooch warm and fashionable with this dog coat crochet pattern.
- Caron International One Pound (100% acrylic; 16 oz/454 g, 812 yds/742 m skein): 1 skein A, 1 skein B. Shown in: #516 Scarlet (A), #503 Black (B)
- One size US H-8 (5mm) crochet hook, or size to obtain gauge.
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
- Row Counter (optional)
Chest: 13 (16 1/2, 21, 26)"/33 (42, 53.5, 66) cm
Back length: 8 (10, 12, 15 1/2)"/20.5 (25.5, 30.5, 39.5) cm
Note: Belly strap allows chest to be adjusted by several inches.
Gauge: In pattern stitch, using US H-8 (5mm) hook, 16 sts and 16 rows = 4"/10 cm.
sc2tog: Single crochet 2 together – Insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, (two loops on hook), insert hook in next stitch, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and draw through all three loops on hook.
Griddle Stitch (over a multiple of 2 sts)
Row 1: Ch 1, *sc in next st, dc in next st; repeat from * across, turn.
- To help avoid confusion, circle row numbers and stitch counts that correspond to the size you are making.
- The front strap of the coat is worked first. The ends of the front strap are then joined and the back of the coat worked from the back of the neck down to the lower edge. Yarn is then joined to one side of the coat and the belly strap worked.
Beginning at one end of front strap, with A, chain 7 (9, 11, 13).
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook, dc in next ch, *sc in next ch, dc in next ch; repeat from * across, turn—6 (8, 10, 12) sts.
Rows 2–14 (18, 22, 28): Work in pattern stitch.
Note: In the next row, the short ends of the front strap are joined with a chain that forms the beginning of the back of the coat.
Row 15 (19, 23, 29): Work in pattern stitch across; ch 16 (20, 26, 32); taking care not to twist chs, work along opposite side of foundation chain, sc in first ch, dc in next ch; *sc in next ch, dc in next ch; repeat from * across opposite side of foundation chain, turn—28 (36, 46, 56) sts.
Rows 16 (20, 24, 30)–17 (21, 26, 32): Work in pattern stitch.
Row 18 (22, 27, 33): Work in pattern stitch and increase 4 (6, 6, 8) sts evenly spaced across, turn—32 (42, 52, 64) sts.
Rows 19 (23, 28, 34)–20 (24, 30, 37): Work in pattern stitch.
Rows 21 (25, 31, 38)–30 (36, 46, 57): Work in pattern stitch and increase 1 st at beginning and end of row, turn—52 (66, 84, 104) sts.
Place a marker at beginning of next row (for belly strap placement).
Rows 31 (37, 47, 58)–33 (41, 51, 64): Work in pattern stitch.
Rows 34 (42, 52, 65)–39 (49, 61, 78): Ch 1, sc2tog, continue in pattern stitch to last 2 sts, sc2tog, turn—40 (50, 64, 76) sts.
Rows 40 (50, 62, 79)–43 (54, 67, 85): Work in pattern stitch.
Rows 44 (55, 68, 86)–46 (57, 71, 90): Ch 1, sc2tog, continue in pattern stitch to last 2 sts, sc2tog, turn—34 (44, 56, 66) sts.
Join A with sc in side of marked st at beginning of Row 31 (37, 47, 58); work 3 (5, 5, 7) more sts in pattern stitch evenly spaced across ends of rows, turn—4 (6, 6, 8) sts.
Rows 2–14 (19, 24, 29): Work in pattern stitch.
Row 15 (20, 25, 30): Ch 1, sc2tog, continue in pattern stitch to last 2 sts, sc2tog—2 (4, 4, 6) sts. Fasten off.
Lower Edge Trim
Round 1: With RS facing, join B with sc in first sc of last row of coat, sc evenly spaced around entire lower edge (including edges of belly strap); join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Round 1: With RS facing, join B with sc in neck edge, sc evenly spaced around neck edge; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.
Belly Strap Belt Loops (make 2)
With B, chain 6 (8, 8, 10).
Row 1: Sc in second ch from hook and in each remaining ch across—7 (9, 9, 11) sc. Fasten off.
Sew one belt loop on side of dog coat (opposite side from beginning of belly strap) 3 (4, 5, 6)"/7.5 (10, 12.5, 15) cm above lower side edge, sew second belt loop 1"/2.5 cm above first belt loop.
Skull Pockets (make 1 (1, 2, 2))
With B, chain 7.
Row 1: (Sc, dc) in second ch from hook, *sc in next ch, dc in next ch; repeat from * to last ch, (sc, dc) in last ch, turn—8 sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, (sc, dc) in first st, continue in pattern stitch across to last st, (sc, dc) in last st, turn—10 sts.
Rows 3–5: Work in pattern stitch.
Rows 6–8: Repeat Row 2—16 sts.
Rows 9–13: Work in pattern stitch.
Rows 14 and 15: Ch 1, sc2tog, continue in pattern st across to last 2 sts, sc2tog, turn—12 sts.
Rows 16: Ch 1, sc2tog, continue in pattern st across to last 2 sts, sc2tog, do not turn; sc evenly spaced around outer edge of pocket; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off leaving a long tail for sewing.
Eyes (make 2 per pocket)
With A, chain 1.
Round 1: Work 6 sc in second ch from hook; do not join and do not turn.
Round 2: 2 sc in next 4 sts, 3 dc in next 2 sts; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off, leaving a long tail for sewing.
Sew eyes onto pocket(s). With A, embroider mouth and nose of skull. Sew pocket(s) to side(s) of coat.
Using yarn needle, weave in all ends.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 7 Free Crochet Doily Patterns for Beginners
- Fancy Retro Top
- Funky Crochet Earbud Wrap
- "25 Quick and Thrifty Free Crochet Patterns" eBook
- 30 Quick and Thrifty Crochet Patterns
- Flower Embellishment Crochet Pattern
- A Tutorial: How to Crochet with Free Crochet Patterns and Videos
- 16 Crochet Ruffle Patterns
- 372 Easy Crochet Patterns: The Ultimate Crochet Guide
- "22 Free Crochet Patterns: Afghan Patterns, Crochet Hats, and More" eBook
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Funky Crochet Earbud Wrap
- Ariel's Beaded Crochet Headband
- Knitted Plastic Bag Dispenser
- Last-Minute T-Shirt Necklace
- Perfectly Pretty Crochet Purse Pattern
- Animal Hats
- Cozy Knits: 50 Fast and Easy Projects from Top Designers
- Premo! Sculpey Clay
- Pretty in Pink Baby Blanket
- Terrific Turtle Crochet Beanie