There's nothing sweeter than a newborn baby so why not shower her with a beautiful baby crochet pom pom hat. This pattern by Emilda Herrington is a unisex pattern that fits babies up to six months old.
- Worsted weight yarn, approx. 50 grams main color,
- Scraps of contrasting color
- Crochet Hook, size 5.5mm (US I-9)
- Yarn needle
INSTRUCTIONS: Gauge: 3 sc = 1 inch.
(If you have tight tension, move up to a 6mm crochet hook, (US J 10)
- Chain 4, slip stitch to join and form a ring.
- Chain 2 and turn, make 9 double crochet in the ring, slip stitch to join. (10 stitches, chain 2 counts as one.)
- Chain 2 and turn, make 2 double crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join (20 stitches).
- Repeat step 3. (40 stitches).
- Chain 1 and turn, single crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join.
- Repeat step 5 for 9 more rows, and fasten off.
- Attach 2 strands of any contrasting color yarn in the fasten off stitch, single crochet in each stitch around, slip stitch to join, and fasten off.
- Make the fringe knot trim: Pull 2 strands of yarn through stitches at random on the hat, and tie in a square knot. Trim the yarn ends evenly.
- Make the ties: Lay the hat flat with the fasten off stitch as the back seam of the hat. Approximately half way to the front, insert the hook into any stitch, and with the same 2 strandsof contrasting trim, chain 12 and fasten off. Trim the yarn ends evenly. Directly across on the other side of the hat, make another tie in the same manner.
- Make the pom-pom: Wind yarn around your 4 fingers, approximately 30 to 40 times, depending on how large you would like your pom-pom to be. Slide the bundle off your fingers, and tie very tightly in the center. Cut open the loops on each side, and fluff out the pom-pom. Trim evenly if necessary. Use the yarn ends from tying the bundle to pass through the top of the hat, and tie in a square knot inside the hat. Weave all the yarn ends into the finished hat with a yarn needle.