We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
This intermediate afghan crochet pattern features a unique spiral pattern with open-weave features. Done in blue and white, these crochet spirals are reminiscent of waves. Take a little mental break and enjoy the comfort of the ocean with this Spiral Afghan Crochet Pattern. This afghan is unique and textured and is sure to complement almost any home decor style.
- 2 skeins Caron International Natura One Pound yarn in White (A)
- 2 skeins Caron International Natura One Pound yarn in Sky Blue (B)
- US J/10 and K/10 1/2 (6 and 6.5 mm) crochet hooks
- Yarn needle
- Removable stitch marker
- Waste yarn (WY) or knitters safety pins (holders)
- Chain (ch)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Half double crochet (hdc)
- Reverse single crochet (Rev sc)
- Single crochet (sc)
Afghan measures approximately 62"/158 cm wide by 68"/173 cm long
Two-Color Spiral (Make 98)
Two-color Spirals are worked individually, then sewn together into panels. Edging is worked around each panel, along sides of each panel, then panels are joined and final edging is worked.
- Using larger hook and A, wrap yarn around finger to form a ring.
- Round 1 (RS): Cont with A, * ch 1, work [sc, hdc, 2 dc] in ring *, remove hook, place last st on holder; join B with a slip st in ring; repeat * to * using B—4 sts in each color, beg in ring.
- Round 2: Cont with B, working into sts of A-section, * work [2 dc in sc, 2 dc in hdc, and 2 dc in each dc]—8 sts worked into previous color section *, remove hook, place st on holder; return to A-st on holder, cont with A, working into sts of B-section, repeat * to *.
- Round 3: Cont with A, working into 8-dc of B-section, * work 2 dc in each st—16 sts work into previous color section *, remove hook, place st on holder; return to B-st on holder, cont with B, repeat * to *.
- Round 4: Cont with B, working into dc of A-section, * work 2 dc in each of next 3 dc *, fasten off B; return to A-st on holder, cont with A, working into B-section, repeat * to *. Fasten off A.
- Sew Spirals together into 7 panels of 14 spirals each, matching colors (see photo); tack down beg and end of Spirals on each panel.
Because of the scalloped edge, the number of sts may vary on some scallops; use your judgment to space evenly. Short ends are 'squared-off' by working two corners at each end (dc, ch 3, dc in one st); each Spiral has (dc, [ch-2, sc] 3 times, ch 2, dc along the scallop) and panel ends have (dc [ch-2, sc] twice, ch 2, dc) between corners, with corner dc counting as first or last dc in these counts, as appropriate.
- (RS) With RS facing, using larger hook, join B with a slip st in corner of end spiral (approx 2 sts from join), ready to work along long side.
- Round 1: First Spiral –Ch 6 (counts as dc, ch 3), dc in same space—first corner completed, ** [ch 2, skip 2, sc in next st] 3 times (approx 4 sts rem before join between first and second Spirals), ch 2, skip 2 sts, dc in next st—first Spiral side completed (2 sts rem unworked before join); cont along long side, * ch 2, skip first 2 sts of next Spiral, dc in next st (4 sts unworked at join), [ch 2, skip 2, sc in next st] 3 times, ch 2, skip 2, dc in next st; rep from * for each Spiral to end of panel; work [ch 3, dc] in same space as last dc for corner; working across end, [ch 2, skip 2, sc in next st] twice, ch 2, + work corner (dc, ch 3, dc in next st); rep from ** for opposite side, end at +, join with a slip st to third ch of beg ch 6, slip st in corner space.
- Round 2: * In corner space, work [3 sc, place a marker (pm), 3 sc]; work 3 sc in each ch-space to next corner; rep from * around, join with a slip st to first st—213 sts each side, 15 sts each end. Fasten off B.
- With RS facing, cont with larger hook, join A at corner marker, ready to work along long side only.
- Row 1: Ch 1, sc in same space as joining; * sc, ch 1, skip 1; rep from * to next marker, end sc in marked space, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 2 (counts as dc), work [dc, ch 1] in each ch-1 space across, end dc in last sc, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first dc, * ch 1, sc in next ch-space; rep from * across, end last rep sc in top of beg ch.
- Fasten off. Work Edging on opposite side of panel. Repeat Side-Edging on rem panels.
- Place 2 panels tog, with WS's facing. Matching sts along one long side, using larger hook and B, work 1 row Rev sc through both panels, joining them. Fasten off. Repeat for rem panels.
- With RS facing, using smaller hook and B, join yarn with a slip st at corner, ready to work along side.
- Row 1: Ch 1, sc in each st to corner, do NOT turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1,working through the front loops only, work Rev sc across.
- Row 3: Ch 1, working through back loops only, work sc across.
- Fasten off. Repeat for opposite side edge.
- Top and Bottom Edging: With RS facing, using smaller hook and B, join yarn with a slip st at corner, ready to work across end.
- Row 1: Ch 1, work sc evenly across. Note: Across Spirals, work [2 sc, dc] or [2 sc, skip 1], as needed to keep piece flat, turn.
- Row 2: Ch 1, * sc, ch 3, skip 2; rep from *, end sc in last st, turn.
- Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first st, in each ch-3 space work [sc, hdc, dc, hdc, sc], end sc in last st.
- Fasten off. Repeat for opposite end.
- Weave in ends.
- Lay piece on flat surface; spray with water (add a little fabric softener for a softer fabric) and allow to dry.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
- 14 New Year's Eve Party Ideas, Recipes, Drinks & Decorations
- 16 Angel Crafts to Make: Homemade Christmas Ornaments & Decorations
- 18 Homemade Christmas Decorations: How to Make Christmas Decorations
- 23 Gingerbread House Designs and Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Christmas Craft Ideas: Ornaments, Decorations, and Homemade Gifts for Christmas
- 34 Holiday Ideas for Gifts in a Jar
- Homemade Christmas Gifts: 14 Gift Ideas & DIY Home Dcor
- Jolly Holidays: 15 Free Knit and Crochet Gifts and Holiday Projects
- Santa's Guide to Easy Christmas Crafts for Kids
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Funky Crochet Earbud Wrap
- Ariel's Beaded Crochet Headband
- Knitted Plastic Bag Dispenser
- Last-Minute T-Shirt Necklace
- Perfectly Pretty Crochet Purse Pattern
- Animal Hats
- Cozy Knits: 50 Fast and Easy Projects from Top Designers
- Premo! Sculpey Clay
- Pretty in Pink Baby Blanket
- Terrific Turtle Crochet Beanie