Make your holiday sweet with a Christmas tree made of candy that will have the little ones' eyes aglow with glee. This pretty and sweet candy Christmas decoration is quick, easy and inexpensive.
- STYROFOAM Brand Products:
- Cone, 12" x 5"
- Disc, 9" x 1 1/4"
- Sheet, 12" x 12" x 1/2"
- Three-ply green paper napkin, 17" square
- Gift wrap paper, red, green, and white
- 1" pompom gift bows, 15
- 45" solid green cotton fabric, 1/3 yd.
- 7/8" green grosgrain ribbon, 7/8 yd.
- 1/4" satin ribbon: red, 3 1/2 yds.; green and white, 1 1/2 yds. each
- Liquid starch
- Beaded head straight pins, red or white
- 3/4" white lace, 1 yd.
- Starlight mints, 2 lbs.
- Floral wire
- Small paintbrush
- Thick white craft glue
- Darning needle
- Wire cutters
- Plastic wrap
- Blow dryer
- Fine-tip marker
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Cut or tear away embossed borders of napkins. Separate napkin plies and tear into 2" squares.
- Following manufacturer's instructions, apply napkin squares with liquid starch to cover foam cone. Let dry.
- Use compass to draw two 11" circles on green fabric. Cut out circles and glue them centered on each side of foam disc. Clip excess fabric at 1/2" intervals and then glue tabs to side of disc.
- Glue green grosgrain ribbon around side of disc, covering tabs.
- Glue cone tree centered on disc and let dry.
- Using darning needle, pierce a 1 1/2" hole in top of tree.
- Align one 1 1/2 yard length each of red, green, and white satin ribbon. Use all three colors as one length to make an eight-loop bow with 10" streamers. Secure center of bow with floral wire and then glue to hole in treetop.
- Cover tree and base with plastic wrap. Apply liquid starch to a ribbon streamer, wrap it around a pencil, and then dry with a blow dryer. Remove pencil from curled ribbon. Repeat to curl each streamer (refer to photo).
- Glue lace to top of disc around edge (refer to photo).
- Tie remaining red satin ribbon into small bows. Glue bows to lace evenly spaced around tree.
- Begin at bottom of tree to pin mints to foam, working in circles to top until completely covered.
- Use a marker to draw 15 assorted 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" squares on the foam sheet. Wax serrated knife with a candle stub or paraffin to cut out squares.
- Wrap foam squares in gift wrap paper, gluing as necessary to secure. Glue gifts around base of tree and a bow to each gift.
O Sweet Wreath
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow.
For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.