By: Kathleen George for STYROFOAM Brand Foam
Christmas carols are great to sing and great to listen to. Create your own caroling snowmen for some fun decorating ideas.
- STYROFOAM* Brand Products:
- Beads, 6mm black, six
- Wooden dowel, 3mm x 3" or wooden skewer (noses)
- Sheer white tights or trouser socks (no reinforced toes)
- Fiberfil, small amount
- Acrylic craft paint: rose, orange, white
- Pom poms, tiny black, six
- Cardstock, 9" x 6" cream
- Tassels, 1-1/2", three
- Hats: 8" x 6", burgundy knit; 2" x 6" and 8" x 8", tan wool; 6" x 6" black felt
- Scarves: three fabric scraps, 18" x 2-1/2" each
- Fringe, 6" x 3/4"
- Ribbon: 1/8" x 6" burgundy; 1/4" x 6" black
- Serrated knife
- Old candle
- Skewer or other tool with point
- Low temperature glue gun and glue sticks
- Cut slice from large end of 6" egg so it will stand; cut slice on an angle from small end of egg. Use serrated knife to cut foam; wax knife blade first with an old candle for easier, smoother cuts. Cut small slice from large end of 3" egg, which will be the head. Glue two eggs together, positioning head so it tilts slightly backward (see Figure 1). Using skewer or other pointed tool, poke a hole in center bottom of body.
- Insert snowman, head first, into tights or sock. Pull sock tightly around bottom of body, trim excess. Place glue in hole in bottom of egg and push ends of sock into hole.
- For each arm, fold in half lengthwise a 2-3/4" x 4" rectangle. Sew seam 3/4" from folded edge and curving across one end (see Figure 2). Trim close to stitching, turn. Gently stuff with fiberfill. To attach arm, use sharp tool to poke open end of arm directly into snowman's shoulder; add dab of glue for extra hold.
- For songbooks, cut cardstock into three 2" x 3" pieces; fold each piece in half. Cut a slightly smaller piece from white paper; fold in half. Glue pages to inside of book; glue tassel to top, inside book. Glue book to ends of arms. Save two books for remaining two snowmen.
- To make nose, cut 1" length from dowel; whittle one end to a point. Paint orange; let dry. Apply glue to blunt end and insert in face, tilted upward. Glue on black beads for eyes, pushing beads slightly into foam. Paint a tiny white dot on bead for highlight. Paint small rose oval for mouth. Lightly blush cheeks.
- For scarf, fold lengthwise 2-1/2" x 18" fabric length; sew 1/4" seam, leaving one end open. Trim and turn. Whipstitch open end. Glue fringe on ends. (Note: only one scarf is fringed; remaining scarves are plain.) Tie scarf around neck or drape over shoulders; glue in place. Glue three pom poms down front for buttons or tie 1/8" ribbon in bow and glue to neck.
- Repeat Steps 1 - 6 for remaining snowmen.
- To make top hat: Cut hat brim, hat top and 1-1/2" x 6" rectangle from black felt (hat crown). Overlap ends of rectangle 3/8" and glue, forming tube. Glue crown on brim around inside edge of hole. Glue hat top on top of crown. Glue 1/4" wide ribbon around bottom of crown, overlapping ends. Glue on snowman.
- To make wool visor cap: Cut two visors and 8" circle from wool. Sew gathering stitch around circle, 1/4" in from edge; pull gathers until opening measures 1" across. Knot and clip thread. Sew visor pieces together along curved edges; clip, turn and press. Glue top of cap on visor, extending visor slightly forward. Glue on snowman.
- Stocking hat: Fold knit fabric in half and following pattern, sew along seam line. Trim close to stitching and turn. Rollup base of hat twice and pull on head; hold with glue.
Something worth saving?
Register now for FREE to:
- SAVE all your favorite crafts
- ADD personal notes
- QUICKLY reference your crafts