Victory Garden Promotes Healthy Living
May 27, 2009—Northbrook, IL— Michelle Obama recently planted the first victory garden at the White House since World War II. According to the New York Times, Mrs. Obama said the purpose of the garden is to educate children about locally grown fruits and vegetables considering the poor health of Americans.
The Kitchen Gardeners International first encouraged the Obamas to create the garden. This organization is a Maine-based non-profit network of over 10,000 gardeners from all over the world who have the same goal. They strive to encourage and teach people how to grow their own food. Not only is local food healthy, but it has a positive impact on the environment, reducing industrial waste.
This is why Kitchen Gardeners International decided to create Eat the View, the campaign “to plant high-impact food gardens in high-profile places,” according to the organizations web site. It does not get more high-profile than the White House, so it became the starting point for the campaign. People petitioned online to ask the Obamas to set an example by replanting a garden on the First Lawn at the White House, and their voices have been heard.
Michelle Obama has planted the most versatile fruit and vegetable garden ever grown at the White House, with 55 varieties of organic vegetables. Eating a lot of fresh produce can give you more energy, help reduce weight gain and potentially reduce the signs of aging. Plus the overall nutritional value of fruits and vegetables is endless. They provide natural and essential vitamins and minerals and can prevent diseases and some cancers. Some people even see gardening as a form of physical, mental and emotional therapy.
In a time when obesity and diabetes are a national concern for Americans, gardening has become important to the Obamas, who hope to impress upon people its many positive results.
FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every style and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, contests and giveaways.
Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking.
- 50+ Simple Homemade Christmas Ornaments
- 40+ Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Thanksgiving Turkey Knit Hat
- Beginner Tote Bag
- 48 Free Easy Crochet Patterns and Help for Beginners
- 25 Mini Handmade Craft Ideas
- Mini Knitting Tote
- Crochet Beach Tote Bag Pattern
- Adorable Recycled Skirt Pouch
- Grandma's Knitted Slippers
- 12 Easy DIY Projects
- 14 Free Crochet Patterns for Babies and Toddlers
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Easy to Make Homemade Jewelry Crafts
- Family Fun Crafts: 16 Craft Ideas for Kids
- Garden Crafts
- How To Make Tie Dye Shirts, Decor & More: 18 Tie Dye Patterns
- Learn How to Knit for Beginners: 27 Easy Knitting Patterns
- The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Always Kiss Me At Midnight Cowl
- Foil Monogram Notebook
- Kindle Cover
- All Seasons Placemats
- Mini Mini Bow Toddler Tank Top
- HOW Hack Fab Fruit Bowl
- DIY Tutorial Copper Cushion
- DIY Tutorial Tassel Lanyard
- Big Bang Adult Coloring Page
- Perfect Profile Adult Coloring Page