Knitting and crochet offer long-term health benefits
Jan 15, 2009—Northbrook, IL—New studies show that knitting, crochet and other repetitive needlework provide a number of invaluable health benefits. Since 2005, ex-senior physiotherapist Betsan Corkhill collected anectodal evidence and launched a collaborative study with scientists at many different universities on the role of knitting in health. They found that such rhythmic repetitive acts help prevent and manage stress, pain and depression, which in turn strengthens the body’s immune system.
Stress exacerbates most medical conditions and is known to be a contributing factor in heart disease, depression and other chronic illness. In our increasingly stressful lives, doctors are advising people to manage stress as part of overall health. Knitting, crochet and other needlework have been found to be an effective way for people to manage stress and depression, and have been especially useful for those in long-term pain management. Pain specialist Monica Baird explains that the action of knitting actually changes brain chemistry, decreasing stress hormones and increasing feel-good serotonin and dopamine.
Many argue that the repetitive movements of knitting activate the same areas in the brain as meditation and yoga, which have been shown to help prevent pain and depression. Dr. Herbert Bendon, Director of the Institute for Mind, Body Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital and Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School notes that knitting is one method to create a “relaxation response” in the body, which can lower blood pressure, heart rate and help prevent illness. Knitting and crochet have a calming effect overall which can help manage anxiety and may even help conditions such an asthma or panic attacks. Additionally, the repetitive movements have been shown to help manage disruptive behavior and ADHD in children.
FaveCrafts.com offers a wide variety of free crochet and knitting patterns for people to enjoy and help relieve stress for better health. Extensive Beginners Guides with videos and pictures help newcomers tackle the essential techniques of each skill. The best thing about this craft is that you can take your project on a train, bus or airplane to alleviate the stress of travel. As you have read, such simple efforts can have profound health benefits.
For additional information on knitting and crochet, please contact FaveCrafts.com editor Caley Walsh.
Caley Walsh, Editor
FaveCrafts.com is an exciting resource for all things craft - from expert tips to project ideas for every style and skill level. We also publish Quick & Crafty, a free e-mail newsletter, publish crafting eBooks, and create crafting related product promotions, contests and giveaways.
Prime Publishing LLC was established in 1995 as a traditional niche book publishing company. Today, we are an Internet Media Company that operates web site communities and e-mail newsletters in niche areas such as crafting and cooking.
- 100+ Tie Dye Patterns and Techniques
- Cute Crochet Slipper Boots
- Dainty Fairy Crochet Dress
- 13 Free Crochet Doily Patterns for Beginners
- Feather & Fan Shawl
- 51 Free Crochet Blanket Patterns for Beginners
- Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan
- Quirky Crochet Handbag
- Fab Felt Pot Protectors
- Toilet Paper Roll Sunflowers
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Delightful Daisy DIY Wall Art
- Joyful Trees DIY Wall Art
- Darling Daisy Embroidered Shoes
- Southwest iPhone Embroidery Pattern
- Creative Scarves Book Review
- American Indian-Inspired Beaded Belt
- Crochet Chain Links Pillow
- Felt Succulent Banner
- Nautical Knock-off Bracelet Pattern
- Jazzed Up Friendship Bracelet