The Best Blogger Craft Ideas 2015: Home Decor Ideas, DIY Jewelry, Easy Crochet Patterns and More
Colorful Classic Bookmark
By: Jana Ewy for AMACO
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
Jana Ewy shows us how to make this beautiful filigree bookmark from AMACO. You can keep it for yourself or give it to a friend. It looks like something classical that you can have forever and it'll keep you and your book organized. You pick up right where you left off.
- Friendly Plastic 7” sticks: in colors of your choice.
- 1 1/4” round cutters: or cutter shape of your choice
- Acrylic ruler
- Cutting mat
- Craft knife
- Mat knife
- Needle tool
- Non-stick baking sheet that fits flat on griddle surface
- Small dish of cold water with a few drops of olive oil
- Griddle set at 200-300 degrees
- Heat tool
- Sealer: I used Envirotex Lite, but any high gloss acrylic sealer will work.
- Disposable mixing container and stir stick
- Non-stick cookie sheet
- Brass filigree flowers, 2” , 3/4” and 1/2” in size.
- Brass teardrop shaped book mark
- Crystal flat back rhinestone
- E6ooo glue
Fracture: Using a cutting mat, ruler and blade, cut the plastic sticks into 1/4” and 1/8” strips. Then cut the strips in half using a scissor. Cut enough strips to create a 1 1/2” x 3 1/2” rectangle. This size will allow you to make two bookmarks, if desired.
Fusion: Pre heat the griddle. Place the baking sheet onto the griddle. One at a time, in a color pattern of your choice, place the plastic strips onto the baking sheet. Make sure each strip is stuck in place before adding the next. Try to press each strip tightly against the one before, to prevent any gaps. Continue until all of the strips have been added. Allow the plastic to soften and seal together. If any gaps do appear, simply tap over them with your finger pressing the softened plastic together. When all the strips have softened and sealed together, remove the baking sheet from the griddle and allow the plastic to cool. Use the needle tool to press under the edges of the cooled plastic and remove it from the pan.
Fracture: Place the cooled plastic back on the cutting mat and trim off the two uneven edges. Continue to cut the plastic into random widths, until the entire piece has been cut apart.
Flip every other strip in reverse, revealing what the finished fractured pattern will look like. Play around with the different size strips until you have the desired pattern. The finished piece only needs to be larger enough to accommodate two large circle cut-outs.
Fusion: Place the baking sheet back onto the griddle. One at a time, in the pattern you have arranged, place the plastic strips onto the baking sheet. Make sure each strip is stuck in place before adding the next strip. Try to press each strip tightly against the one before, to prevent any gaps. Continue until all of the strips have been added. Allow the plastic to soften and seal together. If any gaps do appear, remember to tap over them with your finger pressing the softened plastic together. When all the strips have softened and sealed together, remove the baking sheet from the griddle.
While the plastic is still warm, cut 2 circles by pressing the cutter into the softened plastic. Dip the cutter back into the cold water after each cut. This will help keep it from sticking to the plastic. Allow the plastic to cool. You may place the pan under cold running water to speed the cooling process along. Use the needle tool to press under the edges of the cooled plastic and remove it from the pan. Pop out the circles. If needed use the craft knife to cut around each one.
Mix the Envirotex lite sealer following the manufactures instructions. Application: I like to place my pieces on a non-stick cookie sheet. This way if there is any run off, it will be easy to remove later. Once I have the Envirotex mixed, I like to pour it into a small squeeze bottle. The application will be more precise and much easier. Once the resin has been applied, blow softly through a straw over each piece to pop any bubbles that remain. Allow the pieces to dry at least 12 hours. If there has been any run off. Remove the piece from the pan by pressing the needle tool under it and lifting. The resin is still soft enough that you can cut the excess off with a scissor. Envirotex cures completely in 24 hours.
Position and glue the 2” filigree flower to the top of the bookmark. Glue the friendly plastic circle into the center of the 2” filigree flower. Next, position and glue the 3/4” filigree flower onto the plastic and the 1/2” flower into the center of it. Finally, glue the crystal rhinestone into place. Allow the glue to dry.
Variation: Try using different color combinations to create your very own unique look.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Pine Cone Flower Refrigerator Magnets
- 33 Mini Handmade Craft Ideas
- 36 Dollar Store Crafts and Cheap Gift Ideas
- "24 Handmade Craft Ideas from 2010: A Year of Free Crafts" eBook
- Crafting on a Budget: Low Cost Craft Projects
- Top 10 Christian Crafts
- 53 DIY Crafts Everyone Should Try
- "Cheap and Easy Crafts" Free eBook
- Scrap Fabric Birds
- Pretty Fabric Coasters
- 13 Spring Crafts: Easter Craft Ideas, Spring DIY Home Dcor, and More
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Projects Every Crafter Wants
- 23 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 25 Cool Things to Do with Wine Bottles
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Easter Craft eBook: Blogger Edition
- Garden Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
- Trash to Treasure: 28 Recycled Crafts
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- It's A Boy Light-Up Card
- Monogrammed China Plate
- DIY Felt Flowers
- Baby Octopus Crochet Applique
- Happy Thoughts Printable Coloring Page
- Gathered Waist Summer Dress Pattern
- Glass Pedestal Flower Holders
- DIY Pebble Coasters
- Back-to-School Crayon Art
- Flower Swirl Doodle Pages