10 Ways to Reuse and Recycle Trash for Crafting +14 New Ideas
We are adding the craft to your Craft Projects.
The project was added to your Craft Projects.
In addition to its positive environmental impact, recycled crafting material is especially frugal, being that it comes at no additional cost! Here are ten ways to recycle through crafting.
- Fans- Cut out a rectangular piece of paper from a paper bag. Paint it or decorate it however you desire. Fold accordion style (turning over after ever fold) and secure the bottom of the folds with a dab of glue on each hold or drill a hole through and secure with a bit of string. Fan out.
- Envelope or Mailer- Use a plain paper bag (or with the pointing writing inside) to make a recycled envelope or mailer. Fold a large piece in half and seal the sides. You can even use your sewing machine to stitch the sides closed.
- Gift Wrap- Brown paper also makes fantastic gift wrap. Decorate with stencils or spray with a coat of glittery metallic spray (available at craft stores). For a minimalist look, use twine or neutral-colored ribbon to tie around the package.
- Spray-Painting Aid- Go outside, place an item to be spray-painted inside of a paper grocery bag and spray away. This certainly cuts down on the mess!
- Create a flap album from five paper bags.
Plus 3 New Paper Bag Projects:
Recycled Paper Bag Bracelets: Make paper beads from recycled paper bags and use them to make pretty bracelets. Learn how to make friendship bracelets while making paper beads with this craft tutorial!
Brown Bag Placemats: Use a weaving technique, a recycled paper bag and eco-friendly craft projects to make an attractive and earth friendly place mat. All the products used to create this charming place mat are eco friendly. The tacky Green Glue is completely botanical. Even the paints contain no or low VOC’s (volatile organic compounds).
Brown Paper Bag Beads and Pendant: Reduce, reuse and recycle with this jewelry making craft. Try something new and make Brown Paper Bay Beads and Pendant from Cynthia Gagen. It's a fun project that's totally green.
- Use plastic bottles in your garden for a homemade irrigation system. Decorate and/or paint them so they won’t stand out in your garden AS garbage.
Plus 3 New Plastic Bottle Crafts:
Pink Flower Water Bottle Bracelets: Recycle water bottles into fun pink flower bracelets with this craft project from Tiffany Windsor.
Water Bottle Storage Upcycle: Upcycle some water bottles into storage instead of letting them sit in land fills. You can have an organized craft room while being green if you recycle containers with water bottle storage.
Plastic Bottle Birdfeeder: Instead of sending more plastic to the landfill, turn a plastic bottle into a fun and functional birdfeeder crafted like a birdhouse. This is a great green craft from Heidi Borchers for using the occasional plastic bottle.
Plastic Bottle Caps
- “Beaded Curtain”- Paint bottle caps different colors (you can paint them red and green for a holiday curtain). Drill a small hole into each and thread onto a string. For evenly spaced “beads” measure and tie a knot before stringing on the next bottle cap. Hang each string from a horizontal line for a beaded curtain.
- Use plain bottle caps to create a beautiful lampshade.
Plus 3 New Bottle Cap Projects:
Bottle Cap Coaster: Here's a fun classroom project that reinforces the importance of recycling. Encourage kids to save bottle caps and small lids in other neat shapes and sizes, too.
Plastic Bottle Lid Art: Even plastic bottle lids can be recycled for fantastic art projects like this one from Heidi Borchers of Inspired at Home. Turn the lids into a contemporary art canvas that's sophisticated but easy enough for kids to do!
Bottle Cap Crosses: Use bottle caps and family pictures to create Christian crosses full of reminders of what to be thankful for. These crosses are a great activity for Bible studies and families to make together. These crosses could also be an Easter craft.
Metal Tabs (As on Soda cans)
- Create a surprisingly pretty bracelet with pop tabs and elastic cord.
Plus 3 New Soda Can Projects:
Soda Can Coasters: Here is a fun recycled project that is quick and easy. It is guaranteed to make people smile when they realize the coasters are constructed from soda can metal. What is your favorite flavor of soda?
Soda Can Art Video: This project is a great example of a green craft that is fun and easy. You don't have to spend a ton of money on your craft creations. Instead, save up materials you have around the house. It's a great way to reduce, reuse and recycle!
Smashed Soda Can Animals: A smashed soda or aluminum can becomes a funny cow, pig or bear. This is fun activity by Heidi Borchers of Inspired at Home and a great way to teach kids about recycling.
- Magazine Holder- Cut the top off a cereal box. Halfway across the top, cut a 45 degree angle down to the side of the box, across, and back up at the same angle. Lightly sand with sandpaper. Paint the cereal box a uniform color and tie a ribbon around the box. Or, use stamps to decorate. For sponge painting, simple cut out your preferred shape from a sponge, such as a star or leaf, and use this to paint the box.
Plus 2 New Crafts Made from Recycled Boxes:
Pizza Box Art: The kids will really get into the spirit of recycling with this fun project made on a pizza box, compliments of Heidi Borchers of Inspired at Home. The pretty egret is made with pieces of CDs and old cereal boxes are used for the grasses.
Magazine Holder from Cereal Box: Learn how to decoupage and make cardboard magazine holders with this cardboard box craft. Decoupage and paint a cereal box to turn it into a decorative storage craft.
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
Love these projects? Get MORE delivered to your Inbox – FREE Click Here!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- 674 Recycled Crafts: Crafting with Recyclable Items
- "Recycled Craft Ideas: Easy Crafts to Make with Recycled Materials" free eBook
- 25 Easy to Make Water Bottle Crafts
- Recycled Newspaper Beads
- "14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas" free eBook
- Recycled Paper Seedling Planter
- 27 Uses for Toilet Paper Rolls
- 19 Things to Do with Old Jeans
- Upcycle Thrift Store Plates
- Upcycled Newspaper Earrings
- 12 Fabulous Picnic Craft Ideas + Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 14 Toilet Paper Roll Craft Ideas
- 17 Flower Craft Ideas: How To Make Paper Flowers, Easy Fabric Flowers and More
- 18 Tie Dye Patterns for Shirts, Decor, & More
- 26 Spring Crafts for Kids
- Crafts for Mom: 30 Free Craft Projects for Mother's Day
- Easter Eggs: Easter Egg Designs, Tips for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs, Egg Recipes
- Garden Crafts
- Graduation Crafts
- Hop into Spring: Easter Crafting and Recipe
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Full of Love Crochet Mason Jar Cozy Pattern
- Colorful DIY Agenda Planner
- Blinged Out DIY Cell Phone Case
- Egg Carton Flower Fairies
- Spring Flower DIY Wreath
- Ric Rac Rose Earrings
- Toilet Paper Roll Paint Stamps
- Paper Dolls Crochet Shawlette Pattern
- Teresa Collins Scrapbooking Set
- Pretty Hydrangea DIY Paper Flowers