Everyone can have a little 4th of July festivity with red, white and blue skewers for cooking meat or marshmallows over a fire. These are perfect for a party and the handles are inexpensively made with thread spools.
DecoArt Products Required
- DCP10 - Summer Sky Blue
- DCP14 - Cloud White
- DCP35 - Sterling Silver
- DCP43 - Holly Berry Red
- Three unfinished wood spools (1-1/2" x 1/3", 1/4" holes)
- Two 1-1/2" unfinished wood wheels with 1/4" hole
- Unfinished 1-3/4" wood star
- White craft glue
- 1/2" flat brush
- Foam plate
- 1/4" x 36" round aluminum rod (available in building supply store)
NOTE: Allow paint to dry after each application.
1. Paint wheels Sterling Silver.
2. Paint star and one spool Holly Berry Red.
3. Paint one spool Summer Sky Blue; paint remaining spool Cloud White.
4. For handle, slide one Sterling Silver wheel onto rod. Slide Holly Berry Red, then Cloud White, then Summer Sky Blue spool onto rod. Slide remaining Sterling Silver wheel onto rod. Adjust pieces of handle so that end wheel hole is aligned evenly with end of rod. Hold wheel in place and place glue between all wood pieces and push together firmly so that no space remains between pieces of handle. Glue star over end of handle to cover end of rod.
1. Wood pieces need to fit tightly on rod. If hole of wood piece is not large enough, use a screwdriver with 1/4" head and twist inside hole to make slightly larger.
2. As with any skewer, do not hold directly into flame, but over it, as heat travels through metal.