Look at yourself glimmering in this gems mirror. It's easy to make and it'll put a smile on your face.
- STYROFOAM™ Brand Foam:
- Acrylic paint to coordinate with gems
- Large flat-backed glass gems, two packages
- Square mirror, 5"
- Acrylic spackling
- Grosgrain ribbon, 1" x 1/4 yd.
- Felt, 6" square
- Serrated knife
- Candle stub or paraffin
- Fine-line black permanent marker
- Disposable container
- Rubber spatula
- Small natural sponge
- Clean, soft rag
- Container of water
- Straight pins
- Low-temp glue gun and glue sticks
- Thick, white craft glue
- Wax serrated knife with candle stub or paraffin. Cut 6" square from foam block. Use marker to draw 2-3/4" square in center of foam square and cut out to create frame. Smooth cut foam edges with fingers.
- Use glue gun to secure glass gems to front and sides of frame, adjusting gems as needed to fit. Refer to photo as guide.
- Follow manufacturer's directions to mix spackling in disposable container until smooth and spreadable. Add a drop of two of acrylic paint to tint mixture slightly.
- Apply spackle "grout" to inside edges of frame, smoothing with spatula. Let set a few minutes, then gently smooth again using damp sponge. Rinse sponge often in fresh water.
- Use spatula to work grout into spaces between gems, first on sides and then on front of frame. Use sponge to wipe away excess grout from face of gems and to smooth edges.
- Let grout set slightly, then wipe gems clean again with sponge. Let dry completely. Polish gems with clean, soft rag.
- Use glue gun to secure mirror to back of frame, being sure glue does not show inside opening.
- Use pencil to poke hole in top back corner of frame. Knot ribbon ends together, apply glue and push knot into hole to create hanger. Dip straight pins in glue and insert into foam through ribbon to secure. Glue felt square to back of frame.
®™ Trademark of The Dow Chemical Company ("Dow") or an affiliated company of Dow. For more project ideas, please see styrofoamstyle.com.