Summer is the season of totes. You can take them to the beach, the market or out on the town – they’re just so versatile. Since there’s so much room in a standard-sized tote, you can store everything from a book to a beach towel. You can even throw your computer in a tote bag and head to your favorite corner cafe – is there a better way to spend a summer afternoon?
Now is the perfect time to make your own summer tote bag. You can use brand new fabric for your project or upcycle an old t-shirt. Add fun words, phrases or designs to your bag so it sticks out from a sea of store-bought items. T-shirts are an ideal resource if you want to create bags and save money at the same time. You can maintain the design on a shirt or, if you’re feeling artsy, you can make a Groovy T-Shirt Tote and create your own image using paint. You don’t have to stick with t-shirts to create a fabulous tote, though. Outdated velvet wall hanging work well when creating a sturdy but attractive Repurposed Fabric Tote. Not in the mood to sew? Gather up your yarn and a hook and crochet a Beach Tote Bag using bright, summer colors.
Tote bags are versatile, fun to wear and easy to make – who could ask for more? Start summer with a brand new bag and wear it all season long. When it’s time to head out the door for some summer fun, you can throw all of your belongings into your handmade tote and hit the road!
- Polka Dot Tote from Tinkerfinca
- Fussy Cut Tote Bag from Wag Doll
- Beach Tote from Fabric, Paper Glue
- Dip Dyed Tote from Kristine Eldridge
- Repurposed Vintage Tablecloth Crossbody Tote from My So-Called Crafty Life
- DIY Bird Stamped Canvas Tote from A Bird’s Leap
- Monster Tote Bag from an Old Cushion Cover from My Poppet
- DIY Canvas Tote from Liz Marie
- DIY Compartmented Produce/Farmer’s Market Bag from La Vie DIY
For more free tote bag patterns, download our free eBooks!