Summer is a time to store those heavy sweaters and unearth light and airy t-shirts from the back of your closet. However, you might quickly discover that last year’s tees no longer fit or work with your wardrobe. Well… step away from the trash can because you can use ill-fitting cotton t-shirts to create a variety of crafts. Whether you simply cut up an old shirt or create something entirely new, there are so many ways to show off your creativity and save money on fabric. Plus, t-shirt crafts like refashioned tank tops can be worn during the warm summer months.
Another great idea for upcycling t-shirts is creating jewelry. No, this doesn’t mean you have to make a precious bauble. Instead, create a Braided T-Shirt Necklace with just a few strips of fabric. Sewing skills often come in handy when creating t-shirt crafts. A Groovy T-Shirt Tote isn’t hard to make, but it does require a needle and thread. T-shirts can also be extremely useful when creating inexpensive home decor crafts. Cover your couch or bed with Easy T-Shirt Pillows – the more worn-in the fabric, the softer the pillow! This is also a great excuse for saving meaningful t-shirts you no longer want to wear. You can’t be considered a hoarder when you upcycle your shirts and create something useful … right?!
Get inspired and go green by upcycling old t-shirts. Create funky wearable, pretty decor crafts and more while saving on fabric and supplies – what’s not to love?
- Funky Necklace from My So-Called Green Life
- Rocking T-Shirt Redo from Steph Chows
- Braided Flip Flop Straps from Make It, Love It
- Neon Fringe Shrug from Clones n’ Clowns
- Tie Dye Rosette Shirt from The Crafting Chicks
- Cut Out Back T-Shirt from Love Maegan
- Gathered Shoulder Altered T-Shirt from Crafty Staci
- Draped Necklace Tank Top from Creme de la Craft
- iPod Holder from Oh So Pretty