If you’re looking for kid-friendly Thanksgiving crafts that will look great around your dinner table come November’s end, you must investigate the proper materials. Instead of having your child color something that will turn out scribbly (though we love that) use colored felts that are easy to manipulate with scissors and will look great in bold colors. Colored felts also trump regular colored construction paper because of the clean lines you’ll get when cutting them. Your kids’ will be proud of their masterpieces!
Something basic like a Turkey Table Accent is a fun craft to make with kids and yet festive for the holidays. You can set it in the center of the table with pride that you and your child made it together. And it’s an easy Thanksgiving craft to make. The method of using a hand as a template for a Thanksgiving turkey is not a new one. In fact, your children have probably already done this craft at school many times over. However, slipping the turkeys together to make a larger, fuller turkey centerpiece may be a new twist on an old craft. Since each person in your family has a different sized hand, make several turkeys and make them represent each family member. Your kids will get a kick out of eating dinner with their little mini-me turkey as the centerpiece. With the soft felt accents that create colorful turkey feathers, this thanksgiving craft project for kids is a keeper.
Turkey Table Accent
- 1 – Cocoa EZ Felt Sheet, 12 x 18
- 1 – Red Soft Felt Sheet, 9 x 12
- 1 – Tangerine Soft Felt Sheet, 9 x 12
- 4 – 3/8″ Diameter Google Eyes
- Fabric Glue
1. Trace around your child’s hand onto a piece of Cocoa EZ Felt twice.
2. Cut out hands from EZ Felt Sheet.
3. Cut corresponding slits on each felt hand. One hand will have a slit going from the middle finger to the center of the palm. On the other hand, the slit goes from the bottom of the palm to the center point of the hand.
4. Glue google eyes onto the thumbs of the hands. This will be your turkey’s head.
5. Cut 8 Feather Shapes each from the Red and Orange Soft Felt Sheets. Also cut an oval shape from the Red Felt.
6. Glue feathers and oval to the turkey like shown above. Repeat for the other side. You will have to recut the slit from Step 3 on one of the hands.
7. Slip together.
If you like this project, check out more Thanksgiving Craft Ideas!