Drawing tutorials like these are such fun and festive St. Patrick’s Day crafts for kids!
This post brought to you by Kathy Barbro
I’ve been teaching kids how to draw for over ten years now, and I love to see them get surprised at what they can do. Breaking things down into simple steps really helps, and this shamrock drawing is a classic example. I recommend it for kids ages 6 and up. You can find many more of my How to Draw tutorials at my site, www.artprojectsforkids.org.
• Watercolor paper
• Watercolor paints (I used Prang 16 Oval Set which comes with two
• Brush, water
• Metallic Gold Pen Marker, extra fine point
1. Fold the watercolor paper in half to make a card. Draw about five cross shapes lightly with a pencil. Some may be upside down.
2. Lightly draw hearts around the three short ends. Make them as fat as possible without touching.
3. Use a dark green paint to trace the lines and fill in. Older students may add shadows near the center.
4. Use a lighter green to fill in the background,leaving a white edge around each shamrock. If only one green paint is available, add extra water to lighten.
5. Trace the main lines with a gold paint pen. Add angled lines inside each leaf.