It’s Day Twenty-Nine of National Sewing Month! Too see the daily blog posts, projects of the day, and more National Sewing Month details, click here.
Today, I want to show just how easy it is to install custom piping on decorative pillows. This simple trim can really create that WOW factor on a limited budget.
Install Pillow Piping
This project is for all levels.
Skill Level- 1 Button
- custom piping
- pillow pattern
- sewing machine
- zipper foot
- basic sewing supplies
- Attach your zipper foot to your machine and check the needle position.
- Determine the starting point of piping on your pillow. I suggest in the middle of the bottom of the pillow to hide.
- Position piping; pin in place all around pillow matching seam allowance.
- Straight stitch as close to the cording as possible, clipping corners as needed to turn the seam.
- To join piping, unpick a few stitches on piping and fold back fabric to expose cording. Clip cording to match evenly; fold under the fabric edge and overlap to cover the seam; continue stitching piping in place.
Custom piping is an easy way to add that decorative touch on a shoestring budget. The key is to take your time and not to be caught short with the trim. With a few minutes of prep work and some simple calculations, you can transform even the simplest pillow insert into a decorator pillow.
Here is what I created with my piping.
PS- If this easy project inspires you to get your needle moving, be sure to visit me for more inspiration and sewing tips.