I’m Marie Segares from Underground Crafter, and I’m happy to share this free crochet pattern with you today!
I am a huge fan of crochet motifs. I love the portability, especially in the warmer months. I also enjoy using up odds and ends from my stash. And, as I mentioned before with the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket, I love making baby blankets. This pattern combines two favorites – motifs and baby blankets – to create a vibrant stroller blanket.
While the sample uses just 3 colors, you can always add more (or fewer) colors to customize the blanket for you!
Checkerboard in Primary Colors Stroller Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Stroller Blanket: 29” (73.5 cm) x 37” (94 cm).
- Red Heart Super Saver (7 oz/198 g/364 yds/333 m/100% acrylic) – 1 skein ea in Blue (CA), Cherry Red (CB), and Bright Yellow (CC), or approximately 283 yds (259 m) each in CA and CB, and 343 yds (314 m) in CC in any medium weight yarn.
- H-8 (5 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Motif = 4” (10 cm) square in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- ea – each
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd – Round
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep after asterisk as indicated.
Motif – Make 21 each in CA, CB, and CC
- Ch 4, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 5 (counts as dc + ch-2 sp, here and throughout), (dc, ch 2 in ring) 7 times, join with sl st to top of third ch of first ch 5. (8 dc + 8 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 2: Sl st to ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same ch-2 sp, (ch 1, 3 dc in next ch-2 sp) 7 times, sc to top of ch 3 to join (counts as ch-1 sp). (24 dc + 8 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 3: Ch 5, 2 dc in same ch 1 sp, *dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st, hdc in ch-1 sp, hdc in next st, dc in next 2 sts,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-1 sp; rep from * around ending last rep at **, dc in first ch-2 sp, join with sl to top of third ch of first ch 5, sl st to ch-2 sp. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 15”/38 cm) to join. (44 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Following placement diagram, join motifs together to form a row. With RS facing, begin with hook and yarn tail in first ch of ch-2 sp. Line up stitches and join with sl st through back loops of each layer, skip last ch of ch-2 sp. Use CC to join rows together in the same fashion.
- Join CC in any corner ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), 2 dc in same st, *dc in next 11 sts,** dc2tog across ch-2 sp of this motif and next motif; rep from * across, ending at ** at corner ch-2 sp, (3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at ** in first corner ch-2 sp, (3 dc, ch 2) in ch-2 sp, join with sl st to top of first ch 3.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.
If you like this pattern, check out my Rectangular Sampler Baby Blanket, a free crochet pattern.