Carolyn Wainscott here wishing all of you crafters a happy crafting year. My first 2017 project for you here @ Seams And Scissors is A Quick Heart Shaped Mug Rug for your BFF. Simply sew fabric tubes and weave them together like we used to make those yarn potholders-remember those? My BFFs include my 2 sisters and a couple of close gal friends that I want to make these for our next birthday luncheon.
For Each Mug Rug:
1. cut fabric strips 2 1/2″ by 10 1/2″ [9 strips of first color, 11 strips of second color]
2. sew into tubes using 1/4″ seam allowance
3. turn right side out, press
4. trace mug rug outline onto lightweight fusible interfacing
5. place interfacing with fusible side up onto weaving surface-I used my June Tailor Quilter’s Cut/Press that I’ve had for many years
6. weave tubes together on fusible-press onto lightweight fusible interfacing
7. flip over, cut out shape[s]
8. cut mug rug back, place right sides together
9. sew all around leaving opening to turn, turn right side out, top stitch all around
That is all there is to it unless you choose to add embroidery or trims.
The kiddos will love making the heart shaped mug rug as well as the hexagon shaped one. If you choose a print it needs to be a small scale. In my stash are two really cute Valentine prints that I wanted to use for the mug rugs but the scale was too large so I had to go shopping again on my shelves. Found this lady bug print which is still a little large but I kind of like those eyes peeking out here and there.
Be on the look out for some great projects planned in 2017 for all of us crafters here @ Seams And Scissors.
Happy sewing and crafting, it is my therapy