It’s Day Nine of National Sewing Month! Too see the daily blog posts, projects of the day, and more National Sewing Month details, click here.
Entwined: Table Runner
Finished quilt measures approximately 23” x 41.5”
A seam allowance of ¼ inch is included throughout. Requirements are based on fabric 112cm (42” wide).
- 1 x charm pack OR 32 5” squares (I used Serenade by Kate Spain for Moda)
- 0.5 yard of a solid fabric
- * Extra fabric for backing + binding
- * Batting
- Neutral thread for piecing & quilting
- Sewing machine with a ¼” foot
- Cutting mat, rotary cutter, ruler
- Iron and ironing board
- General sewing supplies
- Solid Fabric
- Cut (4) 2.5” strips x WOF
- Crosscut (64) 2.5” squares
- Cut (3) 2.75” strips x WOF (Border Fabric)
- From these 3 strips:
- Cut (2) 2.75”strips x 42” (long borders)
- Cut (2) 2.75” x 18.5” strips from the remaining strip (short borders)
Place a 2.5” solid square on 2 diagonal corners of each of the 32 charm squares.
Draw a diagonal pencil line across each solid square (optional) and then sew the solid fabric squares to the charm squares (per the diagram below).
Trim the corners ¼” from the seam and press open (as per the diagram below).
Repeat this step to make 32 blocks measuring 5” square.
Arrange and sew the blocks as per the diagram below.
Sew the 2 short border strips to either end of the runner top.
Sew the 2 long border strips to either side of the runner top.
Piece the backing if required.
Lay the backing fabric right side down on a hard surface and use masking tape to secure it, ensuring the fabric is taut but not distorted.
Layer the batting square over it, then the well pressed runner top.
Baste the 3 layers together with safety pins.
Quilt as desired.
(I used a free motion meandering pattern all over the quilt)
What is the first quilting project you remember making?
- 15 Quick Sewing Projects Under 15 Minutes - July 20, 2014
- What You (Almost) Forgot to Bring: Sewing Purses, Organizers, and More for Travel - July 14, 2014
- Kids and Camping Hacks: 17 Camping Crafts for Kids - July 8, 2014