Welcome to the second day of Home Decor week in the National Craft Month celebration on the FaveCrafts Blog. We’ve had three wonderful weeks of projects and giveaways already, and we’ve still got a few more things in our bag of tricks!
As a bonus to the fabulous craft tutorials we’ve been featuring, we’ve also been offering prizes each and every day of National Craft Month. If you haven’t been chosen as one of our lucky winners just yet, don’t worry. We still have plenty of giveaways left so stay tuned to the blog for your chance to win!
Today is Day 26 of National Craft Month, and we’ve got a thrifty home decor project to share with you. Today’s Project of the Day is a party cart refurbished with chalkboard paint from Krylon. Learn how to make this clever project below!
Chalkboard Party Cart
Start this project with an old party cart or end table. You might have one lying around the house that would otherwise go to a thrift store, or you could find one at a flea market or garage sale and decide to give it new life! Either way, this project is a great way to recycle tired, old furniture. Once you’re done sanding and refinishing the table with chalkboard paint, you’ll have a shabby chic party cart to decorate your home or provide an extra serving surface when you’re entertaining.
- Party cart or side table
- (1) can Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Primer
- (1) can Krylon Indoor/Outdoor White spray paint
- (1) can Krylon Dover White spray paint
- (1) can Krylon Chalkboard spray paint
- Purdy 6 in 1 Painters Tool
- Gorilla Glue
- Wood Putty
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic in Dove Gray
- DecoArt Glazing Medium
- Sand Paper
- Paper plate or something for mixing paint
- Paint brush
- Drop cloth or newspaper to protect work area
- Clean cart. I used the Purdy 6 in 1 Painters Tool to scrape off the stickers and gunk.
- Repair cart: The cart was more abused that I realized – one leg was held together by screws. I removed the screws, and glued the leg together with Gorilla Glue. Let dry.
- Once the glue was dry, I realized there were still some cracks, so I added some wood putty to fill those in. Let dry. Sand.
- I sprayed a coat of Krylon Primer and then more blemishes in this beauty of a cart appeared…more Gorilla Glue…more wood putty…more sanding…ta-da!
- I sprayed a second coat and let dry. NOTE: I had decided that my top was going to be chalkboard so I took no care to paint the top nicely with the Krylon. I did prime it with the Krylon Primer.
- I LOVE Kylon’s Dover White (I have used it on many projects), so I continued to paint the cart with it and the color was spot on and application super-duper easy.
- After drying I knew what had to be done…distress it. The cart was begging for it – it was the only way to save the cart and camouflage the damage. So on this gorgeous base of paint, I sanded the legs and a few other areas to show the wear – I especially hit the places where the damage was already done.
- Then I glazed the entire cart with a mixture of DecoArt’s Dove Gray American Acrylic and Glazing Medium. I just mixed the two together and used a rag to wipe on and wipe off. It gave a subtle glazed, while letting the original color shine through.
- Once the glaze was dry, I sprayed the entire cart with the Deft Clear Wood Finish Sealer from Rockler. I sprayed now – before painting my top with the chalkboard paint because I did not want the chalkboard to be “sealed” – it was just easier.
- Once the sealer is dry, paint the top with chalkboard paint – 2 coats according to bottle directions. Let dry. Prime and get writing!
In honor of National Craft Month, we’ve been giving away a prize every single day! Winning is super easy, too! All you have to do is check the blog daily and find the Project of the Day post. Scroll to the bottom for the daily question, and leave your answer in the comments section. After today, there are only 6 more chances to win!
Today’s prize is a 6-pack of Krylon Chalkboard Spray Paint
- Contest open to US and Canada residents 18+
- One comment/entry per person.
- Contest closes March 26, 2012 at 11:59p CST.
- Please answer the question below in order to be entered.
- Winners will be posted on this blog and notified by email.
Answer this question below in the Comments Section of this post for a chance to be today’s winner:
What’s your favorite way to refinish old furniture?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- Craft Tutorials and How Tos You Might Have Missed: Part 2 - July 10, 2017
- In Case You Missed It: Top 20 Crafts from Creativation 2017 - May 30, 2017
- 15 Perfect Spring Felt Projects You’ll Want To Make - April 10, 2017