All month long we’ve been teaming up with talented designers and top craft companies to bring you new crafts and giveaways. Sadly, as National Craft Month comes to a close, there are only two more special blog posts like today’s Project of the Day. Then we return to our regular scheduled programming – which will still deliver giveaways, project ideas, news and more! But let’s live in the present, shall we? Today’s Project of the Day will cheer us right up! You’re going to love the Mini Butterfly Crayon Canvases from Consumer Crafts we’re about to share with you. It’s a fun, easy project that even the kids can get in on. Celebrate spring with this bright colored craft!
Once you’ve read about our Project of the Day, scroll to the bottom of this post and answer the question in blue. By simply leaving a comment in the comments section, you’ll be entered to win today’s giveaway.
Mini Butterfly Crayon Canvases
Nothing says spring like butterflies and bright colors! Celebrate the season with the Mini Butterfly Crayon Canvases. This craft is so simple, you can even let the kids help. Once they’re completed, they’re perfect to hang on the wall of a child’s bedroom or really anywhere in your home. Follow these simple steps and you’ll love the results. It’s a cheerful craft you can make yourself.
- Three (3) Studio 71 3×3 inch Mini Canvases (white) (These come in groups of three when you order them at ConsumerCrafts.)
- Victoria Lynn White Pearl Floral Spray
- Queen & Co. Bling Pearls (white)
- Core’dinations Cardstock (white)
- Glue Dots Craft Adhesive
- Studio 71 Wooden Mini Easel (optional)
- 24 Count Crayola Crayons
- EK Success Large Butterfly Punch
- Multi-Purpose Heat Tool
The first thing you need to decide is your color palette. I chose the whole rainbow! I split the spectrum into three sections: Red/Orange, Yellow/Green, and Blue/Purple. I found it worked well to use 3-4 colors per canvas to get a good variety of color.
Peel back and discard the paper on the crayons you wish to use.
Place a piece of scrap paper underneath your canvas, to keep your work space clean.
Here we go!
Hold your heat gun over the top of the tip of your crayon, and allow it to start to melt.
Let the drips from the crayon cover the canvas as desired.
Keep in mind, the heat from the heat gun will keep the crayon on the canvas liquid, and the drops on the canvas will spread.
Add additional colors as desired.
This is where it starts to get fun!
Keep adding color, and let the colors mix and swirl.
Look how cool the texture of the canvas is with the melted crayons!
Let the canvas dry, and the crayons harden.
Then you can add color splatters to the canvas.
Heat the crayon away from the finished canvas. This will keep the color already on the canvas from re-melting.
When the crayon starts dripping, hold the dripping crayon over the canvas, tap it, and allow it to splatter!
Are you having fun yet?
Repeat with your other canvases, and your selected colors.
Let the canvases dry. It doesn’t take long.
Using white Core’dinations cardstock, and a large butterfly punch, punch two butterflies per canvas.
Trim the antennas from the butterflies.
(I would like to thank my eight year old daughter Mikayla, for assisting me. She was my photographer, and the hand-model in the next photo.)
(We both clearly need manicures!)
Take a glue dot, and stretch it out to cover the body of the (bottom) butterfly.
(Designer note: make sure your working area is free from stray crayon residue, or you will be punching a bunch of extra white butterflies to replace the ones that inadvertently got colored while you worked on them. Just saying.)
With your second (top) butterfly, bend the wings upwards at the body section, and adhere it to the bottom butterfly, using the stretched glue dot.
Add a strip of adhesive Bling pearls down the center of the butterfly body.
Adhere the finished butterfly to your finished canvas using glue dots.
Trim those pearl spray antennas as desired.
You can choose to display your creative, artistic, FABULOUS canvases on easels:
Like I mentioned before, now that you’ve seen our awesome Project of the Day, we’d like to offer you a stellar prize to go along with it! All you have to do is answer the question below and you’ll be entered to win:
Included in this gift basket is:
- Core’dinations Tim Holtz & Ranger Adirondack Paper Pack Collection
- Opposites Attract Cricut font cartridge
- 40 sheets of Core’dinations Cut & Emboss Series cardstock
- Hearts/love scrapbook
- 2 packs of Darice paper crafting greeting cards and envelopes
- 100 sheets of Darice 4.5in x 6.5in cardstock in assorted colors
- 100 piece pack of jumbo cardstock shapes
- Pack of large paper crafting scraps
- American Crafts Thickers chip board stickers
- 4 Darice embossing folders
- Tape runner
- Contest open to US and Canada residents 18+
- One comment/entry per person.
- Contest closes March 30, 2012 at 11:59p CST.
- Please answer the question below in order to be entered.
- Winners will be posted on this blog and notified by email
What have you enjoyed most about National Craft Month? Have you picked up on any new craft tips? Did you create anything new from the projects you’ve seen in our Project of the Day posts?
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- Best Blogger Contest 2019 Winners! - April 25, 2019
- Adorable Granny Square Scarf + 10 More Uses for Granny Squares - April 18, 2019
- 8 Craft Trends for 2019 - January 24, 2019