As experts and enthusiasts of all things crafty, FaveCrafts decided to host a special National Craft Month blog series for all of our lovely readers. Check back for a new blog post every day featuring our favorite projects, new craft videos, how-to’s from the FaveCrafts editors, and a GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, AMAZING craft giveaway at the end of the month. That’s right–we’re giving away the biggest prize ever, a gift basket chock full of crafting goodies from our craft closet. There’s something for everyone in this gift basket.
Leave a comment below, and on any blog post labeled “National Craft Month” in the headline, and your comment will count as an entry into the giveaway. You are free to comment as often as once per blog post (for a total of 31 chances to win!). At the end of the month, we’ll pool all of the comments together and pick one lucky winner.
For today’s post, we’re going to learn all there is to know about loom knitting! Don’t be scared, loom knitting is actually incredibly simple once you master the basics. The even better news? It puts less pressure on your hands than traditional knitting! So if you suffer from arthritis or carpal tunnel, loom knitting is a great way to keep crafting without the pain. Thanks to a new video series on our sister site, AllFreeKnitting, loom knitting has never looked easier!
Here is just about everything you’ll need to know to get started.
- Research different types of knitting looms. Before you begin your loom knitting adventure, you want to make sure to research which type of knitting loom you want to use. Depending on if you choose a round knitting loom or a straight knitting loom you can make a variety of different projects. To get started, watch this great video: How to Loom Knit: Types of Knitting Looms.
- Understand your yarn. Once you know what kind of knitting loom you want to use, you’ll need to know what kind of yarn is most appropriate for the project that you’re aiming to make. In How to Loom Knit: Yarn Basics, you’ll learn everything you need to know about disparate yarns and their various properties.
- Learn the Knit Stitch. Knowing how to loom knit the knit stitch is essential for most projects. How to Loom Knit: The Knit Stitch will show you how to make knit stitches step by step.
- Learn the Purl Stitch. As most knitters know, knit and purl stitches will become two of your best friends. The same goes for loom knitting. Learn how to make your own purl stitches with this video tutorial, How to Loom Knit: The Purl Stitch.
- Learn how to knit the Garter Stitch. Now that you know how to knit and purl, you can create the garter stitch be alternating between the two. Learn how in this awesome tutorial, How to Loom Knit: The Garter Stitch.