Today’s Meet and Make designer is Mark Montano. Mark is a designer, crafter, television personality, author, DIY pro and all around cool guy. Mark was on several television shows like “While You Were Out” and “10 Years Younger.” In his books, Mark shares crafts that cover almost every craft genre. His latest title, The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2, includes over 150 projects with step-by-step instructions for each one. Mark also has a few projects on our site as well and you won’t want to miss those!
Let’s meet Mark!
10 Fun Facts about Mark Montano:
- I am a trained American Indian dancer and can do traditional Navajo, Sioux and Kiowa dances including the rain dance.
- I once got caught in an elevator with Vanessa Williams and she was more freaked out about my excitement than possibly dying in the elevator.
- I have about 300 pairs of shoes. It’s almost my biggest extravagance.
- Green is my favorite color but I almost always wear blue.
- I can’t sew while wearing shoes ever.
- I’m still friends with people from 1st grade and they all (across the board) think we still look the same as we did in high school which is really scary because I think they look terrible!
- My parents gave up on telling me what to do when I was about 8 because I thought being grounded was awesome. I had a sewing machine in my room and I loved to read. I also have 5 younger brothers and it was a nice break from the chaos.
- It scares me how much I enjoy eating and watching TV.
- My grandmother was only a little over 3 feet tall and I thought I was a super hero because I was so tall at such a young age……compared to her. Now everyone is taller than me including my 12 year old niece.
- I want a pet skunk.
Here’s Mark’s Project: Virgin Mary Suitcase
I grew up with images of the Virgin Mary all over my house and I felt this was the perfect way to honor that part of my upbringing. My grandmother is either going to slap me silly for making this or she is going to insist I send it to her immediately, but one way or another I know she’s going to have something to say about it. (By the way, she won’t even utter the name of my book. That woman is bound for sainthood, I’m sure of it!)
- 1 hard suitcase (check your local thrift stores)
- Damp cloth and dry towel
- Masking tape
- Red Krylon Fusion spray paint
- Fabric with a couple of large images that you like
- Fabric with small matching flowers that match your images
- Elmer’s Spray Adhesive
- Minwax Polycrylic Clear Coat
- 1” wide paintbrush
Thoroughly clean your suitcase to get off all of the dirt and grime, and towel it dry.
Cover the parts of your case that you don’t want painted with newspaper, and tape the paper in place.
Take the case outside and spray it red. Let the paint dry.
Spray the back of each cutout fabric piece with the Elmer’s Spray Adhesive, and stick them to the suitcase.
When the entire case is decorated, generously coat it with Minwax Polycrylic Clear Coat and let it dry.
Coat the case a second time to make sure that it has a nice protective finish.
Mark was so gracious to give us two copies of his new book, The Big-Ass Book of Crafts 2, to give away to two lucky blog readers! To enter to win a copy of the book just answer this question in the comments once in the section right below this post:
What is your best DIY project or idea you would like to try?
We can’t wait to hear from you on this one! This will give you one entry. But wait, there’s more…
Optional Bonus Entries
Earn additional entries for each of the following:
■ Tweet about the giveaway using the share button below or writing your own tweet to tell all our friends! (example): I entered the @MarkMontano #giveaway from @FaveCrafts and you can too! http://www.favecraftsblog.com/meet-and-make-mark-montano-giveaway/
■ Link to the this giveaway on Facebook! Here’s the link for ya – http://www.favecraftsblog.com/meet-and-make-mark-montano-giveaway/ or click the Share Link at the bottom of this post.
■ Blog about our Mark Montano interview and giveaway.
Contest closes Monday, October 17th at midnight CST.
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- In Case You Missed It: Top 20 Crafts from Creativation 2017 - May 30, 2017
- 15 Perfect Spring Felt Projects You’ll Want To Make - April 10, 2017
- April is Stress Awareness Month! Unwind with Knitting and Crochet - April 3, 2017