I’m moving this weekend, which means that I’ve been spending a lot of time at hardware and home decor stores. While I am so excited to decorate my new space, I am also becoming more and more aware that the cutest items often cost a pretty penny. I’m realizing that it’s important to cut corners and save money where I can, so I’ve been looking for new and unexpected DIY ideas to spruce up my new apartment. One trend I’m noticing is upcycled lampshades – crafters are taking old, plain store-bought shades and adding fabric, rope and more. Some people are even getting rid of the lampshade entirely and creating their own lighting from unexpected items like wire and paper plate holders. Either way, these projects are a creative, innovative and inexpensive DIY option!
There are so many ways to upcycle a lampshade and create a stylish home decor piece on the cheap. If you love the look of tie-dye (it’s a huge trend right now), you can create an Indigo Fabric Flower Lampshade. While you’re at it, be sure to cut out muslin flowers to stick on to the lampshade! Show off your colorful side and make a Scrap Ribbon Lampshade. This is a great excuse to dip into your supply stash and use up those old scraps. Another fun way to upcycle fabric is by creating a Casual T-Shirt Rosette Lampshade. The pretty florals add a cool and unexpected look and texture.
If you want to change the look of your space, stay at home and makeover a lampshade. You don’t have to drop a ton of money on supplies, either. As these home decor projects show, scraps, old t-shirts and paint can certainly come in handy. Get creative and experiment – you’re sure to love the results.
- No-Sew Fabric Lampshade Makeover from Jacque Lynn Steves
- Paint Sample Lampshade from Marie Oh Marie
- Rope Lampshade from Blog a la Cart
- Fabric Rosette Lampshade from A Swell Place to Dwell
- Fabric Scraps Lampshade from The 36th Avenue
- Gilded Lampshade from Eclectically Vintage
- Industrial Lampshade from Tara Dennis
- Paper Plate Holder Lampshade from My Pondokkie
- Lampshade From Paper Circles from Tally’s Treasury
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- Best Blogger Contest 2019 Winners! - April 25, 2019
- Adorable Granny Square Scarf + 10 More Uses for Granny Squares - April 18, 2019
- 8 Craft Trends for 2019 - January 24, 2019