How to Sew a Sock Monster
Looking for a craft to do with all those single socks that have lost their mate? Socks monsters are a fun craft for any age. Make some sock monsters with the kids or make a sock monster for your boyfriend. Socks monsters are joyously imperfect and come in near endless varieties. Everyone loves a bit of silly creativity! Learn how to sew a sock monster in this post.
Sock Monsters by Emma Hardy
Here’s how to sew a sock monster:
- 1-2 socks (depending on whether you want arms)
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Sewing needle and thread
- Buttons for Eyes
- Felt (optional) for mouth, nose, hat, eyes, etc.
Instructions for making a sock monster:
- Turn your sock(s) inside out and place with the heel facing up.
- Legs– To make legs for your sock monster, trace an n-shape from the bottom edge of the sock to create the look of legs. Sew a running stitch along this line and around the feet, leaving a gap at the “crotch” of the monster. Cut out the sock fabric from between the sewn legs.
- Ears– To make ears for your sock monster, trace a u-shape from the top of the sock. You can make the ears as big or small as you like. Sew a running stitch along this line. Cut out the sock fabric from between the sewn lines. You can also attach ears to your sock monster later using the same concept as for arms, just smaller.
- Turn your sock monster right side out through the gap in the crotch. Stuff through the opening. Sew the gap closed with a running stitch.
- Arms– To make arms for your sock monster, trace two lines on your second sock like in the picture below. Sew a running stitch along these lines. Cut out the sock fabric from between the sewn lines and everything below the tube. Turn the tubes inside out and stuff. To attach to the body of the sock monster, fold in the fabric slightly at the un-sewn end, situate on the monster and sew on with a running stitch.
- Mouth– The mouth of the sock monster will be at the heel of the sock. You have several different options for making the mouth. The easiest way is to pinch the fabric together to look like lips and sew together with a running stitch. You can sew into a smile or a grimace. Alternatively, you can cut out the heel from two socks and use one heel to make a mouth for your sock monster. (The oval heel piece works perfectly as a monkey face.) Or, you can use felt to make your mouth.
- Eyes– Use spare buttons to make eyes for your sock monster. If the sock monster is for a young child, embroider the eyes with black thread. You can also sew on circles of felt and embroider small circles inside for the eyes.
For more sock crafts, see: