Memorial Day is this Monday, May 31, 2010. The national holiday is observed to honor the men and women who have lost their lives in the military. This day is formerly known as decoration day, so why not make some decorative crafts! This is a great way to show your patriotism for those who have served our country.
Learn how-to make an American flag using paper and paint for this special day. The materials and instructions can be found below. Happy painting!
- Poster Board
- Acrylic Paint
- Paint Brush
- Paper Towel or Rag
- X-Acto Knife
- Card Stock
- Blue Painters Tape
- Cutting Mat
1. You are going to tape your poster board down on a flat surface with blue painters tape. Make sure to place newspapers underneath, as paint may get onto your surfaces. Tape each of the four corners down. You may use 8 ½ x 11 or 11 x 17 dimensions, depending on the size you want your flag to be. Cut your flag to the appropriate size you intend to use.
2. You will need to use card stock for the stars. With a scrap piece of white card stock, use a pencil to draw out a star. The size of the star is entirely up to you, depending on the size sheet of paper used for your flag. Cut this star out using an X-Acto knife. This star will become the template you will use to draw all 50 stars on the flag (blue card stock) . Cut out a 4×6 or 5×7 or 6×9 rectangle of blue card stock for the stars, again depending on the size of paper you are using.
3. Trace the white template star onto the blue card stock, making your first 5 rows with 6 stars in each row. You will be adding a second set of 4 rows with 5 stars, in-between the already previously drawn rows.
Note: Make sure you leave enough room when making your initial rows for the second set of stars to be placed in-between the first set.
4. Now that all of the stars have been drawn, use an X-Acto knife to cut out each individual star. Make sure you use a cutting mat underneath the card stock. This will ensure that your table will not be scratched or cut into.
5. Glue down the blue stars card stock to the uppermost left hand corner of the poster board (flag). This next step involves making the stripes on the flag using blue painters tape and red acrylic paint.
5. Using your blue painters tape, place six strips lengthwise across the poster board. Make sure to leave a 1 inch space at the top of the paper (or 1-1/2 to 2 inches for a larger sheet of paper), as this first stripe will be painted red. Your first painters tape stripe will begin below your 1 inch space (this will be the first “white stripe” when you pull the tape off.)
6. Begin using painters tape to make six rows of stripes. Remember to leave your 1 inch space (or larger) between each row. Once you have successfully taped off your “white stripes,” start painting the “red stripes.” You will paint seven red stripes in total.
Note: Your 4th red stripe should be completely even with the bottom of the blue stars card stock (where it ends).
7. Once the red paint has dried thoroughly, peel back the painters tape and remove. The tape ensures that the stripes will be perfectly even. Voila! The project is complete and feel free to frame this masterpiece and show off to your family.
Fly your framed flag high on the wall to show your support. Crafts are a great way to Commemorate this day!
For some other great Memorial Day Projects, check out 8 Memorial Day Crafts and a Short History of Memorial Day
Latest posts by FaveCrafts (see all)
- How FaveCrafts Celebrated Our 10 Year Anniversary - July 15, 2019
- Best Blogger Contest 2019 Winners! - April 25, 2019
- Adorable Granny Square Scarf + 10 More Uses for Granny Squares - April 18, 2019