If you’re still pondering over what to get your friends for the holidays, why not give them something a little more out of the ordinary – give them the gift of knitting! A basket full of homemade knitting needles, a ball of yarn and a simple scarf pattern is the perfect getting-started kit. Plus it will give you a reason to visit more – you can teach them how to knit.
If you don’t know how to make your own needles, don’t be intimidated. It’s really easy. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Old pencil sharpener
- Mineral oil
- Your favorite vintage buttons
- Sand paper
- 1/4 inch dowel
- Old cloth and rag
- Because larger needles are great tools for beginners, you’ll want to make these needles fairly big (size 9 or 10 preferably). If you’re making these for kids, shorter might be the better way to go.
- To make your needles, take the 1/4 inch dowel and cut off two, 12-inch pieces. Sharpen the ends of your needles with an old pencil sharpener. Leave one flat end on each one of the needles.
- Once you have one end on each of the needles sharpened, take some sandpaper and sand then down. The sharpened tips will each need to be sanded down until they’re slightly rounded and not too sharp.
- Apply a thin coat of mineral oil over your needles. Remove any excess oil with an old cloth or rag.
- Take your vintage buttons and attach them to each one of the flat ends using craft glue. Leave them to dry for a few hours.
And that’s all there is to it! Pretty easy, huh? If you’re not sure which pattern to give your friend along with your yarn and needles. Visit our sister site, AllFreeKnitting for some easy and cute patterns. Why not give this Cabled Cowl Scarf a try?
Latest posts by AllFreeKnitting (see all)
- 22 Easy Knitting Patterns for Beginners - January 18, 2016
- The BEST DIY Gift Ideas: Knit and Crochet Baby Patterns - October 14, 2015
- Day of the Dead Crafts: 5 Ways to Celebrate - November 1, 2013